Advice for good cabinets that must meet WAF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
High WAF would include:
- inversely proportional to visibility (including cables)
- inversely proportional to volume
- inversely proportional to number of devices
- matches room decor color scheme
- wireless would be a x 1000 bonus :rolleyes:
- sound quality (negligible effect)
- has appeared in fashion magazine: bonus

Someone make up a formula :D
PS:consider this tongue in cheek:p

Last edited:
Chrisb,
My main interest is for music listening, but I have no doubt the system will be hooked up to the HT as well. If 6-8" woofers will do the job better, then I am happy enough to have a couple of them in the room. The room is largish, 13'x22' roughly and has tall 12' ceilings.
I have ordered the MA Alpair 7 (gold) drivers already. Should I stay will the MA drivers for the woofers for more consistency.
I am not sure if my HT receiver allows me to alter the crossover point and I am not certain at what frequency it happens by default. I can certainly do that from my regular amp (Old Luxman) by just adding an XO.
Jeremy

If you can get your hands on some of the budget EL166 drivers, that's the closest to a woofer that Mark makes. I think he would concur that NONE of the current Alpairs would be candidates for HT woofers.

There are tons of choices of suitable drivers in the 6-8" range for DIYers - we happened to run into a supply of CSS SDX7s a while back that we've yet to fully deplete, so we haven't been pressured to find a replacement, but Peerless, Dayton, Silver Flute, Vifa - insert your favorite flavor here - are all candidates.

One of the reasons I like multiples of smaller woofers (as opposed to "subs") is not only that the required boxes can be smaller and easier to place for most even distribution, but that they generally have much smoother performance into the upper mid-bass/lower midrange, and can more seamlessly integrate with the mains, regardless of the chosen XO points.

If you have an old amp or receiver that can be enlisted to action, you could easily build the woofers for probably less than $100 a piece.

The specs for EQ/XO functions will be buried somewhere in the HT receiver's manual (my Denon's is over 60 pages) or assessable through a half dozen or so layers of on-screen menus. Many plate amps sold separately or incorporated into self-powered units include a LFE or HT bypass to take advantage of the XO in the HT receiver, processor or HTPC sound card - you might well not need an additional XO.

I remember when audio nuts used to joke around about WAF. Now it is a well established specification.

It's near the top of my own build list - and is certainly why I try to always incorporate option for grilles - not all listeners or spouses appreciate looking at the naked drivers, or they have kids / cats that find the moving shiny cones too intriguing.

High WAV would include:

How is this tongue in cheek? You are accurately describing the design brief of most lifestyle systems. And while we are here, let's not forget about cieling speakers.

High WAF would include:

WAF = [(100-THD)(a(VIS)d)^(-1)+Fmag](1+999w)

where w is a boolean value, 1 if wireless, 0 if not

Obviously the optimum value would be over 9000

Just wondering, how many of y'all are ladies? We can't all be dudes... I see no reason why females wouldn't appreciate high quality audio

I peeled of the black fabric and oak sides on my MagnepanSMGa´s and asked what she would like to cover them with. Explained why it should be easy to breathe through the fabric for the speaker. Result: she sewed up some speaker cloth in white raw silk and I found some polished aluminum legs. She plays louder then me and her friends wonder when she is going to paint those new canvasses .

I tried Tangband W4 bamboos in white TQWT cabinets to fit the white walls. They would fit the tread-starters need perfectly. But my wife didn't like them because their height did not match the staircase railing and window heights

am interested in trying some full range speakers. I am not sure what design is best suited for this type of speakers and I am limited to the size I can build by the WAF.
I am not that worried by limited bass initially as I mainly listed to classical guitar, violin and voice.

Try this concept:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It produces stereo sound from a single loudspeaker. Operating principle presented here:
Elias Pekonen Home Page - Stereophonic Sound from a Single Speaker

Have fun !

- Elias

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.