Fostex driver height - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2012, 08:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex driver height

Is there an optimal speaker height for Fostex drivers?
I have a pair of speakers that utilize the Fostex fe126en and really would like to know if the driver should be at the same level as my ear or below.
Your feedback is very much appreciated!
Old 14th January 2012, 12:42 PM   #2
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Imo, and with lots of experimentation in my room, I'd recommend higher than ear height.. Do your own experimentation as it costs nothing but time and listening, and the rewards are more than worth it.. Raise your cabs, adjust them from boundaries towards the listening position, and hear what works best.. I have mine about 12'' above ear height when sitting at my listening position, and toed in to cross about a foot and a half in front of me..

Bringing the listening height up is more realistic to most live performances and how they are staged, no matter the style.. If you want to have the experience of a good seat some rows back center stage, then shoot for that, if you want it to seem like you're watching from the balcony all the time then that's possible too..

Here's an example of how a great majority of live performances are set up in relation to the audience.. Pause it at 2:29 if you can, and you'll get a nice perspective of where her piano is in correlation to the audience and camera man.. Tori Amos - Cornflake Girl HDTV - YouTube

Now if you can, picture its only you in the theater and her playing the piano and singing un-miked. Where should she be in your room if you were sitting at a great seat center stage some rows back? With my drivers in my room she is right there center stage, a few feet above me right where she should be, and that works for almost all my other music too, it's awesome and very surreal and spooky at times..

My take, ymmv

Last edited by DaveCan; 14th January 2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 14th January 2012, 03:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I like full range drivers (when used) to be exactly the middle of the tv.

Norman
Old 14th January 2012, 08:22 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCan View Post
I'd recommend higher than ear height.
More generally, you tune the HF by listening off axis.

dave
Old 15th January 2012, 09:44 PM   #5
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Definitely higher the ear hight in my case. Especially if you are going to be using them more casually too.
Old 15th January 2012, 11:44 PM   #6
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

As a general rule, in a typical room it's best to put it at either at 5ths or 3rds of the ceiling height regardless of ear height due to room modes, choosing whichever off axis angle works best.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!