Fostex driver height

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Imo, and with lots of experimentation in my room, I'd recommend higher than ear height.. Do your own experimentation as it costs nothing but time and listening, and the rewards are more than worth it.. Raise your cabs, adjust them from boundaries towards the listening position, and hear what works best.. I have mine about 12'' above ear height when sitting at my listening position, and toed in to cross about a foot and a half in front of me..

Bringing the listening height up is more realistic to most live performances and how they are staged, no matter the style.. If you want to have the experience of a good seat some rows back center stage, then shoot for that, if you want it to seem like you're watching from the balcony all the time then that's possible too..

Here's an example of how a great majority of live performances are set up in relation to the audience.. Pause it at 2:29 if you can, and you'll get a nice perspective of where her piano is in correlation to the audience and camera man.. Tori Amos - Cornflake Girl HDTV - YouTube

Now if you can, picture its only you in the theater and her playing the piano and singing un-miked. Where should she be in your room if you were sitting at a great seat center stage some rows back? With my drivers in my room she is right there center stage, a few feet above me right where she should be, and that works for almost all my other music too, it's awesome and very surreal and spooky at times..

My take, ymmv :cool:

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.