Markaudio Open Baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hope I'm welcomed here...

So here's my prototype build, based on CHR70 3rd-Gen and Aurasound NS6 (I wish I've bought more of those woofers!)

And the X-baffle spreadsheet's very useful indeed, I have estimated the efficiency of the woofers on the baffle primarily based on this spreadsheet's calculations and determined the L-pad values and X-O point based on it. The temporary baffle's quite a bit smaller, around 4" narrower than my simulation so I have to apply a 3dB - 5dB bass boost on my AV receiver, and when I get the final finished baffle, that may not be required.

The CHR70 driver's in series with a 220uF cap, and the electrical X-O point is at around 100Hz. Sounds pretty nice indeed...

Attachments

• P1040177.JPG
    P1040177.JPG
    860.9 KB · Views: 866
  • P1040178.JPG
    P1040178.JPG
    848.4 KB · Views: 843
Hope I'm welcomed here...

So here's my prototype build, based on CHR70 3rd-Gen and Aurasound NS6 (I wish I've bought more of those woofers!)

And the X-baffle spreadsheet's very useful indeed, I have estimated the efficiency of the woofers on the baffle primarily based on this spreadsheet's calculations and determined the L-pad values and X-O point based on it. The temporary baffle's quite a bit smaller, around 4" narrower than my simulation so I have to apply a 3dB - 5dB bass boost on my AV receiver, and when I get the final finished baffle, that may not be required.

The CHR70 driver's in series with a 220uF cap, and the electrical X-O point is at around 100Hz. Sounds pretty nice indeed...

now that's just too frugalishiously cute

I remember building OB out of cardboard. Honestly those were the most fun times I've had with speakers. Is your crossover holding up that driver? Never seen that before. Keep on having fun and making people scratch their heads to try and figure out how something like that can sound good.

Great observation, sir! The inductor's really supporting the woofer's motor assembly indeed. I'm aware it is a definitely bad practice yet the baffle's a bit too rear-heavy to stand upright and I've planned to replace this cardboard baffle with a permanent one, so it's temporarily working in that fashion.

Yes indeed, it's kinda fun to see people trying to figure out how it can even work and even do bass. Nonetheless, they sound pretty decent indeed, thanks to Mark's awesome CHR70's crisp and clear sound. It has a unbelievably deep soundstage that is unheard of in any conventional stuff, the only down side is the sweet spot is really narrow, probably a one-auditioner-at-a-time speaker, I would say.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.