What Amp do you use with your Mark Audio Drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am using a tubes4hifi ST70 kit with Markaudio 10.2 drivers. What Dave (planet10) says is true. I am sorry to say I don't like this combination very much. SImply put something is missing and it isn't the Markaudio 10.2s fault.

I have also been using the 10.2 with an Elekit TU-879S Stereo Tube Amplifier Kit that put out about 8.5 watts. It sounds wonderful.

In the end I think my ears just prefer single ended sound. That's my 2 cents.

I may try a tube amp in the future, but for now I will use either an 20 yr old Denon receiver or a 1611 AVR for the Pensil 12. I may build a MarKen 10.2 sooner to replace some Baby Advent IIs in my shop and see how I like the sound of a single driver speaker. I will use a 20yr old Yamaha Integrated or a Marantz AVR to power it.

amps Mark Audio Drivers...

Hi all!

First run my Alpair10.2 on an integrated Harman/Kardon 980. Just about 90% perfect. Then I built a SDS-254 ClassD Kit which is a powerAmp. Using the pre-out in the Harman and the sound is even better...
Now building a B1 Buffer(soon to be finished) - maybe even better???:p
And I have aquired the 2SK82(KD33) to later build the LÀmp - to see if my chain ending with the Fonken-like Alp10.2 can follow till the end.
Or else I will have to build some new MA-released drivers......or maybe CSS new drivers....

Best 2 all!

Olav

Hi guys,
I've just returned to from New Zealand out-back to a location where I can pickup broadband, flying back to Hong Kong this weekend. Found some beautiful hard woods for cabinet making but more about this when I'm back home.

Re amps, I'm running most Alpair 10's and 12's on Tony Wong's SET 300B + upgraded transformers from Kenneith Wong in the studio and a brother SET 300b at home: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twin-audio/162616-tonys-300b-standard-model.html

Smaller Alpairs (depending on my mood) and CHR Gen.3 and CHP Gen. 2 on: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twin-audio/166542-6v6-push-pull-integrated-amplifier.html

Alpair 6's (mostly 6P's) on Derek Shek's Miniwatts (yummy): http://www.miniwatt.com.hk/

Also in the studio is an Accuphase: http://www.accuphase.com/cat/e-308_e.pdf
Source in the studio is: http://www.accuphase.com/cat/dp-67_e.pdf
Source at home is: http://www.accuphase.com/cat/dp-65en.pdf

Very interesting to read about the gear members are using.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited:
I am using a tubes4hifi ST70 kit with Markaudio 10.2 drivers. What Dave (planet10) says is true. I am sorry to say I don't like this combination very much. SImply put something is missing and it isn't the Markaudio 10.2s fault.

I have also been using the 10.2 with an Elekit TU-879S Stereo Tube Amplifier Kit that put out about 8.5 watts. It sounds wonderful.

In the end I think my ears just prefer single ended sound. That's my 2 cents.

as I mentioned earlier, there are numerous aftermarket mods/circuits for the ST70 that might well transform the underwhelming performance you're now experiencing - Dave's own reference amp started out life as a pair of sacked out ST70s, and was rebuilt with this one:

Classic Valve Design - Dynaco Clone and Original Design Boards and Repair Kits - Dynaco ST-70 Modifications

This is the only tube amp I've heard with any Dyna content, and by all accounts any resemblance to the original is entirely in name only.

With evry solid state amp I have thrown at the MA drivers I have used, (AlpehJ, F5, BA3) they tend to be deep and wide with their soundstage. The only amp that has pushed the musci out towards me is my brothers KT88 PP in triode mode. Only cavest is listening position. In my room, I am basically against the wall and can pull the speakers out as much as 5ft. In the instance, the soundstage is as deep as it would be in a proper venue. sounds clear and dynamic with good speration and imaging. The 7.3 beats the 10.2 in clarity and seperation. Tone on both is very good with 7 beating the 10.2. In my brothers room listening to Pensils with speakers out 4-5 ft and the chair in the middle of the room with 5-6 ft behind it, i get a lot more of the in your face sound. Whether this is his tube amp or the room setup will be determined this weekend. I will be taking my whole rig to his house to see. Side note; If i move my chair away from the back wall a distance equal to that of the speakers from the opposing wall, The soundstage moves out somewhat. I say all this to point out the many different factors involved in musical reproduction.

I am using a tubes4hifi ST70 kit with Markaudio 10.2 drivers. What Dave (planet10) says is true. I am sorry to say I don't like this combination very much.

You've misconstrued what Dave said. His st70 comment was about the original, now quite old design. The if the amp you have is one of Bob Latino's kits, I'm pretty sure the only thing is has in common with the original st70 is the chassis layout...

I mention this because I use a Triode Electronics st-70 kit with my alp7.2's. I originally had some JJ tubes and it was ok, but I wouldn't say it was noticeably better than my old NAD705. I swapped in some NOS Tesla (EF806S & ECC802S) and Siemens (EL34) tubes. Its a totally different amp. So before you give up on your "st70 clone" try some tube swapping, maybe try replacing certain key capacitors, like the coupling caps.

In the summer when I don't want to heat the room, I use a BrianGT PCB based 3875 chipamp. Nice, but prefer the tubes.

We are using Twin Audio 6F8G preamp and 300B single end mono block power amps (output power:8Wx2) with Kenneth's hand made power transformer, double C-core output transformers and choke. These tube preamp and tube power amps are well-matched with Mark Audio full range speakers and perform strength and potential of the speakers.

Cheers!
Tony.

Attachments

• Pensil 7.3-9.jpg
    Pensil 7.3-9.jpg
    805 KB · Views: 1,202
  • DSCN5769.jpg
    DSCN5769.jpg
    800.7 KB · Views: 1,174
  • P10.2-2-20.jpg
    P10.2-2-20.jpg
    805.4 KB · Views: 1,108
  • P6-22.jpg
    P6-22.jpg
    793.5 KB · Views: 1,082
  • DSCN5077.jpg
    DSCN5077.jpg
    783.3 KB · Views: 1,024
  • Pensil7.3-10.jpg
    Pensil7.3-10.jpg
    790.2 KB · Views: 178
  • Slim CGR70.3-19.jpg
    Slim CGR70.3-19.jpg
    797.8 KB · Views: 180
  • Bamboo 70.3-6.jpg
    Bamboo 70.3-6.jpg
    793.4 KB · Views: 188
  • dCHR-Ken10.2-8.jpg
    dCHR-Ken10.2-8.jpg
    799.6 KB · Views: 187
  • Frugel-horn-2.jpg
    Frugel-horn-2.jpg
    799.9 KB · Views: 277
For those who don't want to use vacuum tubes, I would think modern amplifiers like the Temple Audio Bantam Gold, HLLY TAMP 90, and Topping TP60 would all work extremely well.

My personal preference is the Herron M1 or (used) M150. Quite good.

Disclaimer: I have a loose affiliation with Herron Audio and have been friends with Keith Herron from long before he formed Herron Audio.

:)

Last edited:
Mark, I checked out Derek's website and I can't believe how inexpensive his amps are! Would you consider them a viable entry level valve amp for users of any Mark Audio drivers?

Looks like a bargain....

Rgds,
blakk

Hi blakk,
Yes, for anyone wanting to make a small system to serve desktop, small room etc, Alp6 (M or P) with a Miniwatt is a good combination, worth considering.

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
Very encouraging posts, quite a good number of amp/Markaudio driver combinations. Norio san and me have just spent the evening swopping out various grades of 300B, EL34 and 5U4 valves (tubes) on 2 of Tony/Kenneth's amps. That and a Accuphase E 307 got put into the evening's listening for good measure:

http://www.accuphase.com/cat/e-307_e.pdf

Drivers used were Gen.1, Gen.2 Alpair 10's and Alpair 7 Gen.3's.

A very pleasant and interesting night. More later.

Cheers
Mark.

Efficiency rating

I recently got the Alpair7.3 and have it installed in a re-purposed BIB that I had built for fe126e. What is curious is that with an SE2A3 amp the alpair 7 produces at least the same level of loudness that the fe126 did. The alpair is rated at 85db and the fe126 at 93db. Other drivers rated 88db or below that I have tried in the past have not produced the output levels with this amp that I was satisfied with.
Is there something in the way the alpairs are rated that is different? Not that I am complaining. I am delighted that I can use my favorite amp with this driver.

uv

I recently got the Alpair7.3 and have it installed in a re-purposed BIB that I had built for fe126e. What is curious is that with an SE2A3 amp the alpair 7 produces at least the same level of loudness that the fe126 did. The alpair is rated at 85db and the fe126 at 93db. Other drivers rated 88db or below that I have tried in the past have not produced the output levels with this amp that I was satisfied with.
Is there something in the way the alpairs are rated that is different? Not that I am complaining. I am delighted that I can use my favorite amp with this driver.

uv

After many years of enjoying various Fostex drivers, this was one of my concerns before actually working with Mark's drivers.

IINM industry standards for measurements & comparisons between manufacturers are among his favorite stress relieving topics of conversation :gnasher:

(Mark - have you considered posting a white paper on the subject on your website?)

In this specific case, it's probably safe to say Fostex's ratings could in general be considered "optimistic", and the 126 in particular is among their drivers that need the low end boost that a BLH / BIB etc contributes.

OTOH, I've found none of Mark's need this boost, and I think the degree of "BSC" cleverly engineered in their frequency response gives them much more effective output in the critical lower few octaves of bandwidth, particularly in smaller enclosures.

uv

Hello Uv, Chris B and Guys,
Happy Easter to all. A timely post from Uv given the impeding launch of the MAOP and Alpair 12P which the current pre-production drivers will be listener tested this weekend (more on this later).

As Chris has hinted, driver testing and data publication is often a contentious subject. There's no universally agreed testing standard and a single agreed standard for the production and operation of driver test equipment. Some makers present data that others might describe as "optimistic". Typical examples include smoothed frequency response graphs or T/S data that comes with "small print" qualifications somewhere tucked away at the base of the fact sheet. In particular, those makers who dip into the "commercial driver parts bin" in the hope of turing out a full-range unit, rarely own-up to the likely deficiencies in the design.

Often we see Diyers complaining about maker's data having run their own independent tests. However, the independent testers too often make the critical error of assuming their test equipment and methodology is to laboratory standard and is free of error. A typical error is the assumption that accurate emittance measurement is possible without the use of adequate anechoic isolation.

I describe this part of audio life as the "perfect storm", in which I sometimes become the "fall-guy", being the only driver maker who works directly with end-users, I get shot-at from both sides.

Back to Uv's observation, most SE2A3 amps appear to be rated at 3.5 watts (from a quick web search) which on first observation looks a bit low for drivers like the Alpair 7. However, with a good impedance match between diver and amp, box to driver optimisation and working the set-up in a suitable room (not too big), its easily possible to run small middle to low efficiency Full-Range drivers on lower power amps. Given the design and operational performance of the Alpair Gen.3, as part of a descent set-up, I'd expect it to perform nicely on an amp of the type used by member Uv.

Uv's also observed that some drivers with rated efficiency's of 88dB appear to fall short of audible output. While a driver might be rated at 88dB, it shouldn't be assumed that its operational efficiency is high. The design of the driver's power-train (cap, cone, coil and suspensions), in particular cone's dispersion/emittance characteristics and the compliance of the suspensions are all critical, for which there's no current adequate data presentation that well illustrates such features of a driver's design and operation.

Taking Chris's suggestion of a white paper, interestingly I've just completed an illustrated article for a possible new book to be published by Klang Und Ton in Germany, in which I describe the production challenges for the design, manufacture and assembly of a Full-Range driver's Motor-Set. It will be published in German and later translated into Japanese. Hopefully, the English version will follow after the German and Japanese publications.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.