What Amp do you use with your Mark Audio Drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Elekit with the stock 2A3 had too much gain I had to increase the NFB because it was resonating at female voices. Now sounds great and it's still loud at 12 o'clock and its clipping at 2 o'clock. I'm looking for a pair of 300B before I make additional changes I believe they can use the additional gain just fine. Any recommendations before I spend $$$.

Shuguang Treasure - not an entry level price for 300Bs, but if my experience with the 6CA7s was any indication, it'd not be money wasted

I also had great results with EH Gold grids

what are the driver tubes?

I'm using Sylvania 6SN7WGT Great driver tubes good extended the low end. For 300B I was considering the Svetlana 300B but are around $300 also, Psvane 300b T II but again over $300 for a pair!

Currently I use a D-Sonic M3-800S. Although, I have ordered a 300B integrated amplifier from Twin Audio and will be awaiting it's arrival in the next 2-3 months while it's produced and shipped. I'm looking forward to hearing my Mark Audio speakers with a quality 300B amp. Should be awesome. :)

Hi Guys,
I've been getting excellent results with a slightly modified BR box design originally from Dr. Scott. Its height (O/D) has been shortened from 403mm to 370mm. I'm currently using a 300B SET, Accuphase DP65 CD player, Mac Mini - ITunes for sources (see pics).

Excellent large (if slightly soft) bass from the port @ 160mm, quite wide LF responses considering its a port. I'm finding the smaller internal volume suits my tastes from the original larger box, but bear in mind this is personal listening preference.

Scott also mentioned to me that a 12litre box using a 35mm port around 110mm long could produce a pleasing alignment. Good thing about simple BR's is they're easy to make and affordable. I'll make a few more during the months ahead.

I'll be using my 6V6 next week to compare.

Thanks
Mark.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 382
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 370
  • Alp10mp-br-box.jpg
    Alp10mp-br-box.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
I now have four different class D amps: (Notes are powering a pair of A10P's + Goldwood GW1858's in H-frames)

Topping TP-60 -- TA2022
Lepai 7498 -- TDA7498E
Yuan Jing Audio -- TPA3116D
Crown XLS 1500 -- Proprietary chip

The Lepai screams cheap. The volume control feels like it has sand in it. Sounds pretty good, though. A bit rounder than the Topping. The top is a bit soft. I can't tell at this point if it weak at the top or handling the brick wall filter better. The Blue Tooth receiver is a nice touch. At probably 120w/ch, it's a bit strong for the application. I haven't had it past 10 o'clock into the A10P. Lists for $99, and if you need the power, it is a steal.

Yuan Jing: This is a nice amp. I got the fully built version. Having the power supply inside the box is nice -- no brick hanging around. About 4dB less sensitive than the Topping at full volume. Sounds great with female voice. A bit sweet with plucked strings -- guitars, lutes, et al, and gut strung violins if you are into those kind of things. I need more time with this amp. It is very easy to listen to.

Crown XLS 1500: At something like 575 w/ch into 8 ohms, I haven't dared to try this amp on the A10p's. As a sub amp, it is clean and tight. I have run it down into the teens on a pair of 12" subs and it is outstanding. At the price, I don't see why anyone would fool around with plate amps.

The newer class D chips certainly do sound different from the older Tripath chips. Any glassiness is gone. Of course it is well known that I am not fond of tube amps. but these new amps are cheap enough that I think they warrant a try before spending big bucks on space heaters.

OT: Yes these amps will slam on my rig. Slam starts to happen at about 85dB. Rock music sort of requires this volume level. However, at 70 years old, I can still hear above 12kHz, and I want to keep it that way. I'll let the younger generation destroy their ears.

Bob

I don't have any class D amplifiers nor have I had the chance to listen to any (that I'm aware of). I generally use vintage gear (e.g. Sansui, Tandberg, NAD, and so on), but admit to being curious about how class D might compare.

This may be an unfair question but, based on the nature of the parts used, how durable might these inexpensive class D amps be expected to be? Are they likely to last 30-40 years (or longer) like some vintage gear has, or does their relatively low cost mean that they should be considered somewhat disposable (so that you just buy another one when it fails, like so much electronic and other equipment nowadays)?

Also, most of these things have so few inputs that they would be pretty much useless for me as they are. Do people generally use these as they are, or are they usually hooked up to a separate preamp? Would they work well with a vintage preamp, or do they have compatibility issues?

Thanks.

Dunno about the longevity of some of these cheap offerings, the Lepai does indeed feel like the very low cost amp that it is. My Virtue Audio otoh, had a
much more substantial build quality, and being the "cool runners" they are, will likely last.
I tried the latter with a tube pre, mostly for the increased inputs, but both of the above, as stand-alone units, sound remarkably good, and will drive my Alpair
10.2's very well.

Philosophil,

I'm glad you have found a niche in the audio hobby -- listening to vintage amps. But technology marches on. No, all of those class D amps will not survive 40 years, because they will be hopelessly obsolete. Fortunately, decent implementations are available at very reasonable prices, so there is absolutely no reason to hang on to old chip amps.

Bob

Hi Guys,
I've been getting excellent results with a slightly modified BR box design originally from Dr. Scott. Its height (O/D) has been shortened from 403mm to 370mm. I'm currently using a 300B SET, Accuphase DP65 CD player, Mac Mini - ITunes for sources (see pics).

Excellent large (if slightly soft) bass from the port @ 160mm, quite wide LF responses considering its a port. I'm finding the smaller internal volume suits my tastes from the original larger box, but bear in mind this is personal listening preference.

Scott also mentioned to me that a 12litre box using a 35mm port around 110mm long could produce a pleasing alignment. Good thing about simple BR's is they're easy to make and affordable. I'll make a few more during the months ahead.

I'll be using my 6V6 next week to compare.

Thanks
Mark.

Mark, can you sent me the plan to use the 10.2 as a center speaker? It will be placed in a self
thanks

Mark, can you sent me the plan to use the 10.2 as a center speaker? It will be placed in a self
thanks

Hi Mousik,
My living room set up uses a Alpair 7 for the centre. Box is sealed, size is 300W X 200H X 240D. 15mm ply was used to make the box, lined with 20mm thick white fibre-fill glued to the inside walls.

For other Alpair's much depends on what you want from you centre speaker, room size and amplification.

Thanks
Mark.

I believe between Dave @ planet10 and other DIYers posted projects, there are plans for center channels for all generations of Alpair10s - I built one for the 10P a short while ago, along with a short floorstander.

Shiny dark finishes and dust - sometimes makes for unflattering photos :mad:

And since this thread is about amps used, in this system it's an Onkyo TX NR 818 - a pretty decent rig

Attachments

• 2014-07-15 06.04.09.jpg
    2014-07-15 06.04.09.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 444
  • 2014-07-15 05.56.38.jpg
    2014-07-15 05.56.38.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 439
  • 2014-07-15 05.57.25.jpg
    2014-07-15 05.57.25.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.