Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2012, 11:58 AM   #1
rock12 is offline rock12  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 5.1 system

I am thinking of building a surround system for my living room TV. I would like to keep speakers small due to area just looking for idea's.
Old 12th January 2012, 12:13 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Planet 10 plan library? Do you need them efficient or not?
Old 12th January 2012, 03:54 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubtingthomas View Post
Planet 10 plan library? Do you need them efficient or not?

certainly quite a few options in the Micro-tower HT appendix -(note the site might be down for a bit of maintenance for a few hours this morning)

We recently put together a little 5.1 system for constrained space, using Mark Audio Alpair6P in pretty teeny little boxes for the main 5, and dual CSS XBL woofers in shallow boxes for wall mounting on either side of the wide screen for the .1

To repeat a chorus - one of the great advantages of current mainstream HT receivers ( or HTPCs) is the bass management and, on some, auto calibration / EQ functions that allow a lot of flexibility for DIYers to design speakers to suit real world space limitations.

While of course maximum SPLs may be limited by the efficiency / power handling of drivers chosen for rear surrounds / front height channels which are often the most constrained in terms of physical size and placement, the auto-set up is a breeze, and power in the range of 50-70WPC is silly cheap, so moderate to low efficiency needn't be an impediment. Honestly, a $400-500 HT receiver has gotta be one MF of a bargain - how many of us know guys that spend more than that on a power cord a DAC?
Old 12th January 2012, 05:08 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
We recently put together a little 5.1 system for constrained space, using Mark Audio Alpair6P in pretty teeny little boxes for the main 5, and dual CSS XBL woofers in shallow boxes for wall mounting on either side of the wide screen for the .1
A mock up (no in-situ pics yet -- source pic attached -- there are grills for the woofers). TV hangs off the wall with a 5.5" gap that is nicely hidden by the speakers,

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Teg-system-mock.jpg (34.7 KB, 420 views)
File Type: jpg Teg-system-comp.jpg (114.1 KB, 210 views)
Old 12th January 2012, 11:02 PM   #5
rock12 is offline rock12  United States
diyAudio Member

the mark audio speakers look mighty fine. I was thinking two towers left and right and small boxes for the rears. still need something in the center. thanks for all the replies
Old 13th January 2012, 12:09 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock12 View Post
the mark audio speakers look mighty fine. I was thinking two towers left and right and small boxes for the rears. still need something in the center. thanks for all the replies

What type of 5.1 processing and amplification will be involved?

My frequently mentioned 5.1 rig uses Alpair 7 for the front row, L & R in a floorstanding design called the Pensil and center a small dual slot vented horizontal box, with A6M (sealed) for surrounds, and dual woofer enclosures in front corners.

There are certainly good arguments for going with larger / multiway speakers for HT system, but since this is the Full Range, don't be surprised if most replies suggest some type of Single driver design per channel.

The little Mark Audio drivers are simply an example of how small you can go for the front row and surrounds in a well matched small system - approx volume was 2.5L IIRC. You can certainly pick from the Baskin Robbins menu of 32 or more flavors and sizes, and still use only full range drivers.

Whichever drivers you finally select, I strongly suggest you use the same for all 3 fronts - try to avoid going big on the L&R and compromising on the center.
Old 13th January 2012, 01:48 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Click the image to open in full size.

Do note that the 2 veneered setions inbetween grills are small cupboards and that the surrounds are the same 2.5 litre cabs as the front (you can see them either side in the shop pictures. And the TV is a 55" Samsung.

dave
Old 14th January 2012, 02:38 AM   #8
TheGimp is online now TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

chrisb, what is the downside of larger L&R speakers vs the center channel. I've got Heresy speakers as my primary L & R and am looking at what to use for the center.
Old 15th January 2012, 08:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post
chrisb, what is the downside of larger L&R speakers vs the center channel. I've got Heresy speakers as my primary L & R and am looking at what to use for the center.

The center channel is responsible for over 60% of the soundtrack, and certainly the most critical in terms of clarity and definition. It should be matched as closely as possible to the tonal balance, dynamics and SPL capacity of the L& R. Except in projection systems with acoustically transparent screens, space available for the center channel enclosure is usually the most limited of the front row, often resulting in compromised performance from downsizing.

With the ever increasing size of flat display screens - currently exceeding 60" diagonally, it's getting harder to design high performance speakers for the center channel that can actually fit in the room without sitting at almost floor or ceiling level.

The Heresy is not a small enclosure, and certainly has a very characteristic sound. If you had room and could find a single, or even beater pair at good price, I'd be inclined to suggest it as center as well. If not, I'm sure that current Klipsch line would offering a dedicated CC with performance more likely to blend with the Heresys than would be easy to build.

Hide this!Advertise here!