Taking on the Slot loaded OB project... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2012, 07:44 PM   #11
chops is offline chops  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Pass View Post
I do that all the time.

Don't wait for me - sometimes it takes me so long that the drivers are no
longer available by the time I have more information.

No biggie...

Actually, what I really need are good details on the slot design itself. I have no clue what that slot looks like on the inside, other than a couple of CAD drawings which don't show a whole lot.

What does it look like on the inside?

Are all six drivers in one common chamber or divided into pairs?

How much spacing is optimal between each facing pair?

How much spacing is optimal between each driver vertically?

Just to name off a few...
Old 14th January 2012, 08:56 PM   #12
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post

just to name off a few...
my guess is, it depends on the drivers you use(size)
Old 15th January 2012, 03:45 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
my guess is, it depends on the drivers you use(size)
Unfortunately, that doesn't help much. I'm using 8" drivers just like Nelson's, except I'm using Peerless drivers where he used Vifa drivers. Besides, no matter what size drivers, the internal design of the slot would remain the same.

However, being that there's very little to no help or enthusiasm available on this design, I'm probably going to go with a different design altogether.
Old 15th January 2012, 04:53 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I guess I'll just try to wing it on my own. Looks to be no other options at this point.
Old 16th January 2012, 05:15 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I read that article and i think Nelson described the slot as having an area of approx 1/3 sd.

I also seem to remember the slot being created by spacers between the baffle and the outer wall, the drivers slots being 2 drivers high.

The backside is a common chamber for all the drivers.

Its really cool seeing someone like Nelson puttering around with stuff like this, i always expect hi-fi celebrities to be too busy building their businesses to putter around.
Old 16th January 2012, 11:42 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etocynned View Post
I read that article and i think Nelson described the slot as having an area of approx 1/3 sd.

I also seem to remember the slot being created by spacers between the baffle and the outer wall, the drivers slots being 2 drivers high.

The backside is a common chamber for all the drivers.

Its really cool seeing someone like Nelson puttering around with stuff like this, i always expect hi-fi celebrities to be too busy building their businesses to putter around.
Actually, the opening of the slot is supposed to be 1/3 sd or less from what I gather. The slot is roughly 30" tall, allowing it to hold three 8" drivers high with the apposing cones about 2" apart.

Apparently, none of this is written in stone and the dimensions can be varied with unknown effects with the same 8" drivers.

Should the sub-chambers in the slot be as small as possible?

These are the kind of things that need answers. I don't have spare time and more importantly, spare money to spend on a lot of trial and error building. It pretty much needs to be a done deal when I go to get the lumber and start cutting.
Old 28th January 2012, 06:03 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Apparently this is a dead topic, and I still haven't been able to gather anymore information on the slot design. Mr Pass is MIA as far as email is concerned. This is all kind of disappointing and takes the excitement out of trying to start this project. All the drivers have been sitting, untouched.

Just today I finally opened the package up for the Alpair 10.2's. Normally I would have torn right into them as soon as I got them, but there's just no drive to motivate due to the lack of anything on this thread and a couple others. The last bit of information I got on another forum was a link to a spreadsheet for OB calculations that I have no clue how to work.

So anyway, I cut a couple of 0.50" BB ply, 12 x 12 baffles with the driver opening right in the middle. With a couple of metal "L" brackets each and some little rubber feet, these will be used for the 500+ hour break-in period for the 10.2's. I'll be powering them with Dayton's version of the little SI T-amp, the DTA-1. Not the pretties baffles around, but they'll get the job done.

On a little bit happier note, the Alpair 10.2's are beautiful, very well made drivers. Even my girlfriend likes them! She's glad I chose the gold version.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by chops; 28th January 2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 28th January 2012, 08:43 PM   #18
Vix is offline Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Don't give up. Don't try to build the perfect baffle at the first shot. Just do it, even though you may have to guess and approximate about some things. Later, when you hear what it is about, you can build a better baffle...
Old 28th January 2012, 11:50 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

There is enough information given in the Slot Baffle article to begin experimentation with a baffle. I don't think there is one absolute truth in this case. Just build and se if you are satisfied.

/Erling
Old 29th January 2012, 02:04 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

The thing is, I don't have the luxury of building multiple baffles to "find" the right one. It's gotta be pretty much a first time thing. And I'm still not certain what the actual insides of the slot looks like. I need to know this stuff before I can move forward at all.

As for right now, I just have the break-in baffles up and running. The Dayton amp is running off of the Zone 2 pre-outs of my Onkyo TX-NR809 receiver. Unfortunately, HDMI signals are not passed through, so when we're watching TV, there's nothing going to the A10.2's. However, all other times, I will have vTuner playing random music.

At any rate, here's a few pics...

Hide this!Advertise here!