Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2012, 01:44 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hi Vec7or, some inspiration about the sand chamber can be found in this thread.
Hi from
Bjorn
Old 12th April 2012, 08:11 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Why won't the w4 1320 go bellow 60hz?
What troubles me is that CyburgsNeedle is tuned to 45hz for a 3 incher while this 4 incher won't go bellow 60 with much more x max and Sd...
Old 12th April 2012, 09:17 PM   #13
Solve is offline Solve  Sweden
diyAudio Member

It does with TABAQ, long time since a messured it but look at post #30 here.
TABAQ TL for Tang Band
If you look at the red line, its messured from the port and if i understand the
discussion after my messurements you should lower that -7,35DB to get it right.It sounds pretty low for me.

Solve
Old 12th April 2012, 10:08 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Do you have any idea what is the low end extension (-3db) of TABAQ with w4 1320?
Do they do synthetic bass kicks (wall trembling sound = about 55hz)?
I am skeptical because the original TABAQ started to rolloff at 53 in simulation but that was for a driver with a much lower Vas then the w4 1320.

The real question is how low will the w4 1320 go without the help of a horn. A 10 liter TABAQ sounds to me like a very strict diet for this driver... the BIB is 34.5 liters... somewhere in between there is a down to earth TL that should work as low as who knows ... I suspect not lower than 45hz. Somebody who worked with the driver might know more about the low end extension.
Old 13th April 2012, 12:24 AM   #15
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

In ~5950 L it has a ~18 Hz low corner......... Other than having more volume than most folk's living room, the trade-off is that its HF corner will only be ~312 Hz. Otherwise, a BIB in a corner is probably the practical limit.

GM
Old 13th April 2012, 12:36 AM   #16
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

lol, wasn't there a message somewhere about a guy who said the sheetrock in his house started to seperate from the joints with speakers that go down to (can't remember exactly) either 16hz or 14hz?

Weird thing I noticed on the apple website: they stated the range for the Creative T12 as being 20-20,000hz. The ones I bought I think go down to 45hz. So I don't know if that was a typo. I still don't understand the bassflex technology. It looks a little like a passive radiator?
Old 13th April 2012, 01:04 AM   #17
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

That would be me; ~14 Hz and still haven't completed all the repairs ~12 yrs later.

Certainly looks like a PR.

GM
Old 13th April 2012, 04:28 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi
My original TABAQ har been updated with W4-1320SA. Same cabintet, same BSC - no changes. The sound is very clean - just like it should be. You could, however, reduce the damping with a third. This gives a more lively bass, but it is not neutral any more. I use the 100g damping as the original TABAQ.
I do not have advanced measuring tools, but TABAQ with this 4" driver has useful output down to 35 - 40 Hz when placed against the wall.
The driver would probably do better in a cabinet with more volum, but that is not the intention of TABAQ.

Regards
Bjorn Johannesen
Old 13th April 2012, 05:16 AM   #19
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
That would be me; ~14 Hz and still haven't completed all the repairs ~12 yrs later.

GM
talk about bringing the house down!

I was messing around with the digital XO/EQ last eveining and strangely rattled some of the furniture with test tones 50-100 Hz.
Old 13th April 2012, 10:41 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjohannesen View Post
Hi
I do not have advanced measuring tools, but TABAQ with this 4" driver has useful output down to 35 - 40 Hz when placed against the wall.
The driver would probably do better in a cabinet with more volum, but that is not the intention of TABAQ.
Bjorn Johannesen
Thank you for your answers, and for designing the TABAQ in the first place. You have answered my question and probably the one for VEC7OR. 35-40 Hz is a surprise for me, I didn't expect it to go that low, this is probably due to Xmax; the driver looks bass thin in hornresp below Fs, probably due to low Qts. Did you design the TABAQ with a gradual rolloff to get good extension bellow 55hz?

One more thing for the record: if GM is generous enough to shine the light on this one - what would be the optimum volume for an enclosure tuned to 0.707Fs (=53hz) for the w4 1320? ... the down to earth TL I was talking about earlier. I think it's going to be above 20 liters (compared with only 10 of the TABAQ).

Hide this!Advertise here!