Learning as I go about smaller fullrange drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well its been awhile for me posting a topic so here go's. I have had the fostex ff85wk drivers for awhile now. I have broke them in for well over 100 hours. Is there any diffrance's yes. They are not so bright and they have mellowed out. The drivers are not so tight sounding more looser and free sounding. I had them in a open baffle the whole time. Now I just got a pair of the tang band w3-881si 3 inch fullrange drivers. They have only been played for a few hours or less. I have found them to be better sounding then the fostex around but, the live sound that fostex have. They were on sale at (P.E.) so why not take a chance. Now I feel I am getting closer to the right 3 inch driver I have been looking for. This driver really sound good on the dayton T-amp (DTA 100A) I wish it had more amps instead of 5 amps in the power supply. Well I am wondering if the more costly tang bands would be worth looking into. The (PPM) Cone sounds like a paper cone but, without the (SSSS) Or the it getting peaky. I am a very detailed person so useing cheap clip wires and not in a box can really change the drivers sound and damping the steel frame as well. Well is it worth itto get the cast frame for $10.00 more. Also it seems (P.E.) has cut down on there tang band drivers. I have been looking at the following drivers from tang band.

1. Tang band w3-1364sa Still alot for a 3 inch drivers worth it?

2. Tang Band w3-319sf. Looks nice?

3. Tang Bnad w3-315e Have been lookig at this driver for along time now?

3.Tang band w4-656sc 4inch drivers upgrade for $10.00 more?

Now the other driver I wanted to try have not heard much about it is the,

1. Peerless 830986 drivers.

I will be adding a long throw woofer or subwoofer to cover the low end. I am building these for t.v. us and movies and backround music. They are for my wife and small is better for her. Well please tell you thoughs on tang band driver or projects that can help me. Thanks daniel

Best bang for the buck, Mark Audio CHR 70.3! I have listened to several 3-4 inch fullrange drivers, some costing twice the price. These sound amazing, I'm very happy with them!

Larry

Yes I have looked at the mark audio drivers and I have some issues.

1. They can not be in direct sunlight.

2. The cones can not be touched.

3. How about diffrent rooms one hotter then the next or colder then the next one. It reminds me of the (B&W) cones. If you put your finger on it the oils in your skin get soaked into the drivers and it loses 3db. I called and the company and they told me that years ago. So again very shy about the mark audio drivers. Thanks again daniel.

I suspect you'll be safer with the paper coned varieties - the metal cones are, I suspect, more prone to damage.

Chris

Yes the thin metal cones of Alpair and Jordans are far more delicate than paper cones of the same nominal size, and minor tears etc to the latter are generally repairable - metal "foil", not so much.

As to direct sunlight, from where does that concern arise? If anything I'd imagine that long term exposure to UV light at "normal" range of room temperature might be more deleterious to untreated paper cones than metal.

Yes the thin metal cones of Alpair and Jordans are far more delicate than paper cones of the same nominal size, and minor tears etc to the latter are generally repairable - metal "foil", not so much. (Does not sound fun to fix or deal with.)

As to direct sunlight, from where does that concern arise? I read it in the driver info about mark audio drivers? If anything I'd imagine that long term exposure to UV light at "normal" range of room temperature might be more deleterious to untreated paper cones than metal.

Last edited:
Yes paper is my top choice of any type of cones. :sing:
The 2nd choice is (PPM) cones. Easy on the ears.

FWIW the most recent PPM (ish) driver I've had a chance to hear recently was the TB W5-1611S (neo, before the price went a bit silly), and easy on the ears would be one way to put it - for me woefully lacking in top end compared to a Fostex 4-5" or certainly to Alpair 70mm paper or metal. The top octave of my hearing ain't what it used to be, but IMO a decent paper or metal cone will certainly outperform this particular model. That said, it (the 1611) was certainly benign enough in it's top end that mating with an appropriate tweeter - your choice of ribbon, dome, cone, would likely fill in the blanks.

FWIW the most recent PPM (ish) driver I've had a chance to hear recently was the TB W5-1611S (neo, before the price went a bit silly), and easy on the ears would be one way to put it - for me woefully lacking in top end compared to a Fostex 4-5" or certainly to Alpair 70mm paper or metal. The top octave of my hearing ain't what it used to be, but IMO a decent paper or metal cone will certainly outperform this particular model. That said, it (the 1611) was certainly benign enough in it's top end that mating with an appropriate tweeter - your choice of ribbon, dome, cone, would likely fill in the blanks.

Well I had a chance to have the fostex ff85k the new drivers for a a few mounths. Then I bought the tang band drivers on sale at (P.E.). Now I will have to see if I can compair the two side by side? Its like everyone has their own ice cream flavor one is not better then the other. They all do the same things some tastes better then others. Like the speakers some sound better then others? I will try to do a side by side test next after the tang band drivers are broken in. Thats only fair Only thing I do not like is the low (D.B.) on alot of these drivers.:(

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I am too, kec. I don't necessarily like them more than my EL70s, but I enjoy listening through them on my desk. Even in the 'misalignment' I employ, in Minimus 7 cabinets. :D
Having a sub under the desk certainly helps.
I love my EL70 microtowers, but I pine for a better room for them...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.