My Dipole bi amped system - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2012, 10:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My Dipole bi amped system

Hi guys, this is my first build for this forum. I have been a audio junkie since the car audio days of the 90s, and my manufacturing jobs in the audio field, and installations for car audio. Well, I'am all grown up now
I still build my own speakers when I can, especially subwoofers. But recently got in to mid range testing and repair.
Anyways, on with the build. This was for a friend who originally wanted me to build him a speaker system using those Parts Express 6" Focals or the other speaker they had at the same time for $7-8. After working on some designs for a few weeks, and parts coast tally, I came up with a Dipole 3 way tower. bi amp ability or single power source.
I had some blown so called subwoofers from a manufacturer here, and I was going through them, taking measurements, and realized they would be a perfect match as a mid range. So after a few builds, I found the right match and copied it.
Click the image to open in full size.

Came up with this, 35hz Fs with a bandwidth from 30- 4000 hz with very low distortion.. I had some Vifa tweeters that had a matched crossover crossed at 2700hz. I tested, and found the perfect match- no mods at all- LUCK!! I really wanted to build the crossover, but oh well...
Currently I'am just using some digital 50/60w pc receiver for the highs, while the lows are sharing a Dayton 240w amp@4 ohms. The receiver to be used will be the HK AVR7000
Old 4th January 2012, 10:26 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You have a PP arrangement in the bottom box? Do you think there is an advantage on that over isobaric at that low Hz?

I made a 8 driver dipole that was all just mid range old alnicos that came out of a Sweet 16 to use for vocals and that worked just fine and I have a couple of pair of old Heil AMT dipoles. I guess those old Shahinian Obeliscs are dipoles too. I must be drawn to them. The Obeliscs have PRs and hard dome tweets on the back and are a bit different than most speakers. They still sound good and are used often.

Thatch

Nice 1st post by the way!

Hide this!Advertise here!