My Dipole bi amped system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, this is my first build for this forum. I have been a audio junkie since the car audio days of the 90s, and my manufacturing jobs in the audio field, and installations for car audio. Well, I'am all grown up now :)
I still build my own speakers when I can, especially subwoofers. But recently got in to mid range testing and repair.
Anyways, on with the build. This was for a friend who originally wanted me to build him a speaker system using those Parts Express 6" Focals or the other speaker they had at the same time for $7-8. After working on some designs for a few weeks, and parts coast tally, I came up with a Dipole 3 way tower. bi amp ability or single power source.
I had some blown so called subwoofers from a manufacturer here, and I was going through them, taking measurements, and realized they would be a perfect match as a mid range. So after a few builds, I found the right match and copied it.
photobucket-4011-1324199523046.jpg

photobucket-2557-1324199574118.jpg

Came up with this, 35hz Fs with a bandwidth from 30- 4000 hz with very low distortion.. I had some Vifa tweeters that had a matched crossover crossed at 2700hz. I tested, and found the perfect match- no mods at all- LUCK!! I really wanted to build the crossover, but oh well...
photobucket-1984-1325314252268.jpg

photobucket-3677-1325314069192.jpg

photobucket-3517-1325710465658.jpg

photobucket-3171-1324018665126.jpg

Currently I'am just using some digital 50/60w pc receiver for the highs, while the lows are sharing a Dayton 240w amp@4 ohms. The receiver to be used will be the HK AVR7000

You have a PP arrangement in the bottom box? Do you think there is an advantage on that over isobaric at that low Hz?

I made a 8 driver dipole that was all just mid range old alnicos that came out of a Sweet 16 to use for vocals and that worked just fine and I have a couple of pair of old Heil AMT dipoles. I guess those old Shahinian Obeliscs are dipoles too. I must be drawn to them. The Obeliscs have PRs and hard dome tweets on the back and are a bit different than most speakers. They still sound good and are used often.

Thatch

Nice 1st post by the way!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.