full range system I NEED HELP - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2012, 03:58 PM   #1
amozos is offline amozos  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default full range system I NEED HELP

Hi,

I am thinking on the idea of a full range system for my living room.
My living room isnt big. I want it for music (dance and hip hop) and films,
I was going arround Cyburg needles TBw3-871 with a chipamp.

I saw it has a very good response but for lower frecuencys hasnt got a nice bass.
Could you recomend me some similar system?
Could I use the TBw3 needles with a subwofer?

Thanks in advance
Old 2nd January 2012, 04:13 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

having just built these a few weeks ago, i can safely say you should use a sub for those types of use.

may want to think about some kind of crossover for the needles...just to keep them from extreme excursion at the listening levels you may require
Old 2nd January 2012, 05:10 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWisely View Post
having just built these a few weeks ago, i can safely say you should use a sub for those types of use.

may want to think about some kind of crossover for the needles...just to keep them from extreme excursion at the listening levels you may require

To keep things safe and clean at dance party SP levels, you definitely should consider HP filtering this weight class of driver - XO at a higher frequency than is generally considered "sub" category - i.e. in the 200-300HZ range, and use multiple small (6-8") woofers.

When you say "films" does that mean an HT/Surround receiver will be employed? While these can greatly simplify set-up, even with the mains selected to "small", you could be limited to the available HP XO frequency (i.e likely no higher than 120-150), so proceed with caution. Unless you get silly with the volumes, you'll not likely damage the smaller drivers, but the distortion at party levels can get pretty obnoxious.

Last edited by chrisb; 2nd January 2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:52 AM   #4
amozos is offline amozos  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default needles

Ok,

I think I will go ahead with the needles and a gain card, I dont really want it for partys but I like dance music and R&B
I will try with two chanel chipamp (lm3886) and both needles.
My question is, after doing it if the bass is to low, could I add a subwoofer?
Which one do you recomend me? I could still use the TB w3 needles or I need to crossover them to be used for high frecuencys?

Thanks in advance
Old 3rd January 2012, 04:22 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amozos View Post
Ok,

I think I will go ahead with the needles and a gain card, I dont really want it for partys but I like dance music and R&B
I will try with two chanel chipamp (lm3886) and both needles.
My question is, after doing it if the bass is to low, could I add a subwoofer?
Which one do you recomend me? I could still use the TB w3 needles or I need to crossover them to be used for high frecuencys?

Thanks in advance
I'd be surprised if any driver this weight class (including my current favorites Fostex FF85WK and Alpair6P) couldn't benefit from HP filtering and addition of actively powered woofer(s) when used for applications other than nearfield computer monitors. Starting with 6 - 8" units available from folks like Partsexpress etc for under $100 (less shipping) to as much as you wanna spend - there are too many options to be comfortable making a specific recommendation, and I've only ever built them.

Hide this!Advertise here!