Why this sounds so god...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi and happy new year,

For some time I am thinking of new speakers. I have some drivers and wanted to use them. Among others there are 2 Aurasound NS8 woofers.

Here I red about FAST full range design approach, small full range speaker with help of woofers.

I already had woofers, but wanted some proof of concept, or some experiment to justfy new investment.

Couple days ago, my friend was cleaning his basement and there was his old, mid 80´s Sharp small stereo tape boom box. I take it just to see whats inside, planing to trash it. But, I take 2 speakers, 12cm in diameter, only 2w nominal, 8w max, but full range drivers. Paper cone with metal dust cap.

Now I could make test FAST speakers. I built it also for fun with no expectation.

I used 17lit enclosure that I also had, 18mm MDF, put Aurasound woofer and above funny old full range driver. Rear port was 5cm wide and 12cm long, it gives F3 45 - 48Hz.
Crossover is 1st order, 3.2 mh on woofer and 150mfd on full range. Xo frequency at about 280 - 300Hz. I didn´t had any specs for full range so I put l-pad to control levels.

Result was ..... WOW
This sounds so good, vocals, top end, mids are fantastics. I caled some friends that are in hifi, we listened speakers and agreed it sounds fantastic.

Biggest surprise is quality of these old full range drivers.

Aurasound also fitted in perfectly, great lows, not so deep, goes to 45hz, but great sounding.

I wonder why these old gems sound so good. I hed Fostex fe127e, but these are better, at least in FAST arangment.

Anyone try something similar?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.