Fostex Fe126en vs Aplair 7 in FH MK3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2012, 02:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex Fe126en vs Aplair 7 in FH MK3

Hey all,
I just built a pair of Frugel Horn MK3's with the Fostex FE126en. While I like the sound through my 10watt SET amp, I noticed there seems to be a lot of peaks in the highs, and they roll off a bit.

I'm curious about the Alpair 7 gen3's. Compared to the Fostex FE126en, I like the fact that it has a flatter freq response, is reportably more detailed and extended highs. Is there any compromise trying this driver or the 126en? Is there a big difference in efficiency? I like the 93db with my 10watt set amp, and wouldn't want anything less, but I'm confused by Aplairs spec of "SPL of 86dB", its can't be that bad is it?!
Old 1st January 2012, 11:02 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by croweproductions View Post
Hey all,
I just built a pair of Frugel Horn MK3's with the Fostex FE126en. While I like the sound through my 10watt SET amp, I noticed there seems to be a lot of peaks in the highs, and they roll off a bit.

I'm curious about the Alpair 7 gen3's. Compared to the Fostex FE126en, I like the fact that it has a flatter freq response, is reportably more detailed and extended highs. Is there any compromise trying this driver or the 126en? Is there a big difference in efficiency? I like the 93db with my 10watt set amp, and wouldn't want anything less, but I'm confused by Aplairs spec of "SPL of 86dB", its can't be that bad is it?!

The Alpair's sensitivity rating is pretty accurate, so yes that makes it approx 6-7dB lower than the FE126En - but as you've noted it ( Alpair) also has far smoother FR at both ends, and particularly in terms of low end extension. That was a big concern for myself and a lot of other folks when first experimenting with any of Mark's drivers - no question a bit of leap of faith - but it only one listen.

If you keep your average SPLs under 90, the Alpairs do so many things very well in any enclosure (would it be risky to describe the 7.3 a more refined than the FE126En? ), and certainly in the FH3. A BLH can provide some gain in the bottom few octaves to drivers like the Fostex, but it won't do anything to increase any speakers' net overall efficiency - however you might be surprised how much 10W of decent power can deliver.
Old 2nd January 2012, 01:58 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
you might be surprised how much 10W of decent power can deliver.
You might well,

A7.3 measures out, on average, just over 85.5, FE126En just under 93. But when you are playing it doen't seem to be that high a delta.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!