Looking for a small diy computer setup!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I'm searching for a pair of small diy speakers to build for my 15 year old cousin. A 2.0 system or a 2.1 system for computer speaker use. I think he would prefer a certain amount of bass to show his friends and when he's alone he play alot of games. I don't wan't to build anything that doesn't deliver a good sound image so the usual store bought computer speaker setups are out of question. I was thinking about a overnight sensation build from undefinition powered with an inbuilt lepai ta2020 amp. Anyone who got experience of those speakers? Feel free to come with any suggestions at all. Thankful for any tips at all! Thanks for all replies in advance and a happy new year!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Kyle brought a pair of Overnight Sensation to this summer's diyFEST. We compared to similar size mMar-Kel70 (with EL70)... the latter was clearly better. There are a number of milliSize boxes for a range of drivers (at least 7 currently available drivers).

They are just a (set of) examples of the many excellent small FR (single driver) speakers.

EL70 produces some decent bass, but it won't replace a woofer.

dave

milliSize Me

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Alpair 6p is certainly at, or near the top of the pile for desk-top duty.

milliSize mMar-Ken6.2p with unique maroon A6.2p

253893d1323383828-minionken-fonken-picture-gallery-mmar-ken6p-red-comp.jpg

dave

I think full range is very important when doing a desktop system so that you don't get lobing being so nearfield. I just built some sealed EL70s that I'll add bass boost eq with my computer. Just did a nearfield measurement and got useful bass to 60hz pre-eq! Sounds great.

Having heard them I think that I'd choose the EL70 in the mMars enclosure over the overnight sensations (size for size). In addition to sounding GREAT it's got many other compatible enclosures available to it. Paul Carmody's design is great, you will not be disappointed, and you'll get to solder up a crossover. Flip a coin and you're hooked either way!

KM

Last edited:
Kyle brought a pair of Overnight Sensation to this summer's diyFEST. We compared to similar size mMar-Kel70 (with EL70)... the latter was clearly better. There are a number of milliSize boxes for a range of drivers (at least 7 currently available drivers).

They are just a (set of) examples of the many excellent small FR (single driver) speakers.

EL70 produces some decent bass, but it won't replace a woofer.

dave

milliSize Me

Dave, not splitting hairs but you are making a recommendation so some responsibility is in order. Not saying you're irresponsible but could you quantify 'better' and maybe share the listening arrangement where these faired 'better' than the OS? Maybe it's me but there's not a heck of a lot of full range monitors used in top mastering facilities in the nearfield.....wonder why that is?:confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.