Sensitive bookshelf speakers for Tripath

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am making a tripath amplifier, and I would like to build a pair of bookshelf speakers for them.

I understand that they need to be sensitive, and I have googled around a bit without really luck.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for elements and drawings (In the £100+ range)?

These are the specs for the amp:
  • Class-T architecture
  • Single Supply Operation
  • Audiophile Quality Sound
  • 0.03% THD+N @ 10W 4Ohm
  • 0.1% THD+N @12W 4Ohm
  • 0.18% IHF-IM @ 1W 4Ohm
  • High Power
  • 13W @ 8 Ohms, 10% THD+N
  • 23W @ 4 Ohms10% THD+N
  • 38W EIAJ* VDD=14.4V @ 4Ohm
  • High Efficiency
  • 88% @ 12W 8Ohm
  • 81% @ 20W 4Ohm
  • Dynamic Range = 103 dB
  • Up to 2X25Wrms @ 4Ohm, VDD=14.6V
  • Mute and Sleep inputs
  • Turn-on & turn-off pop suppression
  • Over-current protection
Thanks

I am making a tripath amplifier, and I would like to build a pair of bookshelf speakers for them.

I understand that they need to be sensitive, and I have googled around a bit without really luck.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for elements and drawings (In the £100+ range)?

These are the specs for the amp:
  • Class-T architecture
  • Single Supply Operation
  • Audiophile Quality Sound
  • 0.03% THD+N @ 10W 4Ohm
  • 0.1% THD+N @12W 4Ohm
  • 0.18% IHF-IM @ 1W 4Ohm
  • High Power
  • 13W @ 8 Ohms, 10% THD+N
  • 23W @ 4 Ohms10% THD+N
  • 38W EIAJ* VDD=14.4V @ 4Ohm
  • High Efficiency
  • 88% @ 12W 8Ohm
  • 81% @ 20W 4Ohm
  • Dynamic Range = 103 dB
  • Up to 2X25Wrms @ 4Ohm, VDD=14.6V
  • Mute and Sleep inputs
  • Turn-on & turn-off pop suppression
  • Over-current protection
Thanks

If you are looking for the most efficiency, a back loaded horn based on the Fostex FE126En or FE166En would be about the best you could do. One of the Fonken bookshelves would also work but you would some efficiency.

I have been running some CHR-70 and EL70 based speakers on a Dayton dta-2 amp, 15wpc tripath and it handles them very well. Lots of power in a decently sized living room. I barely make it past 3oclock on the volume knob with input from my airport express (it's a little hotter than straight from my iPod) and they get loud.

I passed by a DIY speaker shop today here in Holland, and they claimed that you cannot make small/bookshelf speakers with high sensitivity for a tripath amp, because there will be no bass...

Now, that can be a fact or just their opinion. What are your experiences?

I had some CHR-70s in some planet 10 enclosures and the bass was most certainly present. I used the DTA-2 amp mention above, definitely on the cheap side of ta2024 amps. I am about to buy a TA2020 based amp to replace the DTA-2 (sister finally got to take it home). Some people in for forum have said the 2020 has better bass but to 2024 has better detail.

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/downloads/CGR-dKal-El703-300611.pdf

The enclosure I was using is linked above.

KM

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I passed by a DIY speaker shop today here in Holland, and they claimed that you cannot make small/bookshelf speakers with high sensitivity for a tripath amp, because there will be no bass...

Now, that can be a fact or just their opinion. What are your experiences?

You do have both hoffmann's iron law, and the fact that, given there is an Sd term in the efficiency, a small driver in a small box will be challenged to be efficient and have deep bass. Something has to give.

And any small driver will be limited as far as dynamics in the bass are concerned

EL70 in 13 litre box (Mar-Kel70) can produce midboggling bass (given its size). Put it in a 4.5 liter box (mMar-Kel) and it still produces some bass (but you get the feeling the driver is being held back), but somehwere around 85 dB/1w (the 4 ohm impedance gives it a 3dB advantage with T-amps over the other usual candidates).

In the "same" box, the FE127e in the mFonken is ~90 dB, will produce less bass (but it sounds less constrained and perhaps has a bit better balance). With the same driver in the 13 litre Fonken some claim bass into the 40s in room,i estimate mine, in my room more like into the low 60s)

dave

regarding bass - with no sub or added sub later

Im also looking for a Bookshelf design. Definitely need WAF. Tried BLH and Metronome ideas but she doesnt like to see speakers at all.

I love the Teresonic Magus look with a tapered cab but dont have 3-5K to spend , nor would I.
But I notice the miniOnken dimensions are close. Just would like the taper.
I think i saw a proto for a ufonkenset but not sure of dimensions.

Ill be running a t-amp until i build a tubelab simple se or buy a MP-301 mk2 (still deciding).

Is there a driver that would give satisfying bass in these dimensions with low power?
I.E. - 14-15"T, 11-12"D, 9"w front and approx 7.5"w in back.

BTW Im not a HT guy nor rock/metalhead. Folk Jazz, Blues, Horns
Thanks

Attachments

• teresonic magus front.jpg
    teresonic magus front.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 571
  • ufonekenset.jpg
    ufonekenset.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 561
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
But I notice the miniOnken dimensions are close. Just would like the taper.
I think i saw a proto for a ufonkenset but not sure of dimensions.

uFonkenSET is 158x240x174 (wxhxd) (6 1/4 x 9 1/2 x 6 7/8)

there is a range of deciSize as well, 232x396x257 (wxhxd) (9 1/8 x 15 1/2 x 10 1/8)

Is there a driver that would give satisfying bass in these dimensions with low power?

There is one of the above for the FF125wk, which is not quite 90 dB. ODougbo has done the beta build of the rectangular version and seems to be over the moon, Chris is starting on the trapezoid variation.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...tex-fullrangers-madisound-11.html#post2850047

Except for vent spacing (and driver cut-out details, and the accientil offset driver) will look like the dMar-Ken7T (2nd from left) in this family photo.

257917d1325459619-seeking-help-first-speaker-project-chris-family-comp.jpg

There will be one in between for the Alpair6.2p as well.

and larger ones as well;

258987d1325972644-ideas-speaker-flat-paks-mrkel70mt-proto.jpg

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The deciSize looks large enough to give some decent bass repsonse right?

Yes... into the 60s at least.

The the 125's and the trapezoid, I might could further round the corners and that would be just what im looking for.

As long as you take care to not much with vent length

Will there be a plan posted on your Fonken page?

There will be full plan-sets available for sale for a modest price.

dave

sensitivity and bookshelves...

Folks, I can say without a doubt that Mar-KeNs (Dave are the primes the deci size?) and CHR70eNs are not bass shy and have plenty of bass and efficiency to be driven by a Nuforce Icon (original version, 12 watt/ch ? IIRC), and thus I suppose a 41Hz amp6 as well (10 watts/ch? I can't remember....). Bass is not an issue. It isn't when I plug my DNA 0.5 deLuxe into them either...

I guess it all depends on how big a room is, how loud is loud, (my usual questions)...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.