Sensitive bookshelf speakers for Tripath

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I think I'll order a pair of FF165WK. How far are your beta plans?
(And if not (?), which of the small Fonken plans would you recommend for them?)

... for a box 5-7 litre you need FF125wk. I haven't figured out how small a box needed for FF165 ... likely on the order of 2x the volume

FF125 plans need just a tiny bit of work and they can be purchased. Betas turned out well, but pointed out some necessary fixes in the docs.

The large 165 box is at the beta stage

dave

I find it curious that no one has mentioned the Tang band full range drivers. The 4" bamboo one is plenty efficient enough to be driven by 12 watts in a small to medium room and they are inexpensive. I believe that a 1.25 (liter/cubic foot?) transmission line cabinet would work but I may be remembering the wrong driver specs. Here is something to look at:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=1295d67f38bc99be790962a403b469d

Last edited:
... for a box 5-7 litre you need FF125wk. I haven't figured out how small a box needed for FF165 ... likely on the order of 2x the volume

FF125 plans need just a tiny bit of work and they can be purchased. Betas turned out well, but pointed out some necessary fixes in the docs.

The large 165 box is at the beta stage

dave
Ahh, OK. And for the FF125wk, I use the FE127e mFonken 1v1 (milliFonken – 4.5 litre vented) or the FR125S miniOnken 1v0.1 plans, right?

Do these use "just a capacitor" as the Xover? If so an interesting option to clone. About $240 for drivers currently.

from Decware specs:

SPECIFICATIONS
94 dB with 1 watt at 1 meter
42Hz ~ 22kHz
available in 4 or 8 ohm nominal impedance
Crossover - 6dB Clarity Cap on Ribbon only
2 ~ 25 watts continuous, 100 watt max
Max SPL 112dB

I couldn't find details as to the XO point, so you'd have to guess the best point depending on your drivers of choice - a paper coned mid-bass that rolls of smoothly on the top end anywhere from 3-5K would certainly simplify things .

AFAIK, most of the lower cost eligible ribbon / planar isodynamic candidates like to run from around 2500 / 3000 up

chris, I did find that...

I looked into the drivers fairly closely. The Decware site indicates that the 8" mid-woofer is a Silver Flute wool coned driver. Based on the indicated impedance, it should be the W20RC38-04. Looking at the tweeter it looks like a Swans or HiVi unit. The closest I could come was the HiVi RT1C-A tweeter, currently on sale from USD $120 ea. to $80 ea. The Silver Flutes have a regular price of USD $40 ea.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
from Decware specs:

94 dB with 1 watt at 1 meter

How do you get 94 dB out of a 91 dB driver?

The 4 ohm is 93.7 dB sensitive, but thats 2W in...

With the silver flutes the XO looks like it would need to be about 6k XO, that ~4dB peak at ~4k is nothing to write home about either,

Ryan has some real-world experience with the SF W20, (hey you listening Ryan?)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
or he could be using different drivers

We are pretty sure that the SF have been confirmed from multiply sources

The wool cone 8 inch driver gives stunning weight behind a glass smooth mid-range and this is complimented by the air and shimmer that is only found in ribbon tweeters.

And given the above, it is a Siver Flute, and unless a special OEM version (did Steve buy 1000+), pretty much nails it.

dave

The older DM944 does indeed use the 8" Silver Flute 4ohm woofer. The HiVi RT1C-A is crossed in at around 8kHz via a single 3.3uF metallized film cap in series.

DSC01691.jpg

DSC01692.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the email ping Dave.

Yikes. I would not run that woofer past 2khz max. The experience I have is with the 8ohm, but they're identical afaik. Mine also has a nasty break up around 4khz. It's loaded with distortion and bad decay. I'm on my phone, but I'll post FR plots a little later. They're outdoor measurements and pretty reliable I think.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.