Another best buy- Fountek FW146

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The FR88EX is $40 at Meniscus Audio. Is that enough under $50 to make them useful?

I see they have gone down at Madisound too. Guess they weren't selling at $50 (or manufacturers have decided it is in their best interest to swallow some of the neo increases)

I have 22 FR88ex (bought when they were cheap). For a buck or so less I'll take an FF85wk over them, but the reduced price makes the Alpair6p a longer reach away. Granted the FF88 will do bass better than the FF85, but the latter is so much better everywhere else.

dave

An FR88ex with ceramic magnet and stamped basket. Probably edges the Aura NS3 at the same price.

Ryan don't you have a set of FR88?

dave

The aura ns3 would make more bass IMO. But the FR85 may be better everywhere else, so I'd agree it should edge out the ns3 at the same price. Depends on the application I suppose.

Yes I do, but experimenting I cannot stop. I'm out of control. Help me now! Actually, I don't like the FR88 treble that much, and the FR85 spec sheet looks like it may push the breakup just a tad higher and may sound better. A stretch, I know, but one can hope ;)

Incidentally German Klang + Ton tested both Fostex FF85WK and Fountek FW146 in number 1 2012. Going price over here is 47.50 EUR for the Fostex and 28.50 EUR for the Fountek.

The Fostex shows a very even frequency plot and the Fountek has it's severe break up at 10-11 kHz. The polar plot is very good for the Fostex to over 10 kHz, here the Fountek can't match that high up.

The Fountek FW146 has extremly low distortion even at measured 95 dB from 250 Hz and upwards also for uneven harmonics, this is a very strong point for the Fountek. The smaller FF85WK cant match at all even if levels not are high compared to similarly sized units.

In fact I ordered a pair of Fountek to compare to 18Sound 6ND430 for midrange (300 - 2000 Hz) in my 'Blindstone' OB: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/123512-ultimate-ob-gallery-47.html#post2433427 . Just out of curiosity because the 6ND430 does play very, very well. :)

/Erling

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.