1st Project!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well my first build is only 6 years in the making -- ouch. But I took some time and got my mini NC machine in gear to do some repeatable work. I started with the 7 Liter fr-125's from Planet 10 just to hear the darn things and work out my NC kinks.

I have them breaking in before the final routing and finish. The backs come off so I can tune and line with felt. Now that I have the cutouts made I can progress to the bi-poles.

Very happy these little guys do a nice job as they sit. They seem to pair up well with my Marantz integrated amp. (PM-68) I have not been much of a fan of the amp until hearing it with these -- strange but welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_1245.JPG
    IMG_1245.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1251.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1254.JPG
    IMG_1254.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1252.JPG
    IMG_1252.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 78
They are CSS FR-125S's in boxes for 6 years. Kinda laughing that I finally got them put together. (now that they seem to be obsolete ) I've been burning them in and yesterday ran another stereo channel from the basement so I could compare "apples to apples" . While the old polk SDA's still do it for me these little guys are amazing. Put on a good amp they are a pleasure to listen to -- and there not lined or even glued in the back , ports are just fit by hand with some TFE tape for a snug fit. I have 190mm 1,5" in now and I want to try 135mm as well just to see.

I used winisd and plugged in the box shape , driver and these are the low and high for the port that keep a reasonable curve. Figured I can tune form here pretty easy after I decide the final fate.

The problem is they sound too good in these little boxes. I need a good replacement since these two have brothers in boxes WR-125 that I was going to try for griffin's bipole plan with. Seems like I waited so long you cant even get these any more. I'm open to suggestions /opinions on alternate drivers from CSS et al that use the same form factor that might work well.

Note - after some serious listening the Marantz amp is unplugged again ! It was a replacement for an older Phillips FA960 that was great, the PM-68 brought this classic from my wife " What's wrong with your speakers?" So I have one powerhouse I like in the basement a Sherbourne 7 x 200 watt monoblocks that sounds better than the old FA960 driven from my computer. I created a profile to run my M-Audio card as 4 stereo sets instead of 7.1 so I can now switch between the two in the Library with a mouse click.

Anyway -- very happy I made something and thanks Planet 10 for the plans & Ideas. The folks out here must have some seriously nice sound if this first effort sounds this good from 40$ drivers in a box with no other electronics ! I do believe I will have to proceed with the bipoles after giving these a listen -- and the ports are 2mm off center driving me crazy !!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.