Speakers sound so good

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With all the nonsense going on in my life at the moment it's great to sit and listen to music without having to think about tweaking anything.

Divorcing wife
Considering two knee operations
Can't workout (no karate anyway)

This morning my 'wife' took our boys to NYC... so having the house to myself i decided to fill it with music. My son's open baffle speakers (15" Jamo woofer, 8" Pioneer B20 + peizo - connected to a Sonic Impact amp + Dayton sub amp) proved very satisfying and entertaining playing a mixture of Queen, Bob Marley and Blondie.

Now at my parents house, the open baffles i moved from my 'man cave' to their house play happily some older 50s and 60s music. Everything sounds so good! If you like a big, powerful sound try the Eminence Beta 12lta (with tweaks of course) partnered with a tweeter and H-frames or bass support of your choice. Connected to Cary tubes. Awesome!

I am going to attribute the open baffle design and smart (enough) choices based on so much of the attention many on this forum provide. Thanks to all!

And also, today i bought four clamps from Home Depot to use as 'stands' for future open baffle projects. Stands have proven the most difficult to make. Simply clamping two each to the bottom of a baffle provides enough support and stability... or so i hope. Seemed to work with the blank 2' x 4' boards at the store. I'll take a pic of the stands in action in the days ahead.

Happy holidays!
Zilla

Attachments

• 12lta-ob.jpg
    12lta-ob.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 677
  • Jeremy-ob1.jpg
    Jeremy-ob1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 662
The 12lta, most have said the best tweak is to remove the dust cap and add a phase plug (assuming no bass support or adding a super tweet). Lot of good sound for the money.

That should get you the most bang for the buck.

I assume they are high intelligibility ?

Godzilla, what's that tweet thing ? is it 6db crossovered ?

Norman

The tweeter is the Eminence 1001 plus a the smallest Dayton waveguide.

Eminence ASD1001 1" HF Titanium Horn Driver 1-3/8"-18 TPI 290-525

Dayton H45E 4.5" x 4.5" Elliptical Waveguide 1" Threaded 270-314

Crossed with a simple 1uf cap, so easy! H-frames dialed in with a sub amp... also easy.

Lots of tweeters can be used but i was thinking frugally. I like the sound of this tweeter. It's mellow and never in your face. This tweeter has a more dynamic and realistic sound IMO compared to dome tweeters (at 87 - 90db) and is much less fizzly sounding than the cheap piezos (that i love... but they just don't sound as good as this compression driver). Compared to the Radio Shack 'pod' tweeter (similar to the $37 Fostex) it gives instruments like cymbals more body but sounds less sweet. The Eminence is not a sweet sounding tweeter rather a bold, dynamic, realistic sounding tweeter. It's worth a try IMO if you are wondering about compression drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.