Adapted to situation ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello !

First of all, thanks to people who work on free speaker designs and plans !
I'm currently looking for building a pair of speakers (first diy), but I hesitate between Frugal Horn mk3 and MicroTower with 2 driver per speaker (1 top and 1 front).
They will be powered by a Scott 255S.

The living/dining room is not that big (~4mx~5m) for the moment but will be larger in a year...
I'm listening a wide variety of types (Rage Against The Machine, ACDC, Korn, Norah Jones, Ray Charles, ...) and I wonder if these speakers are adequate...

Thanks in advance for advice.

Disclaimer: i have not heard those speakers.
Even so, feedback considering your wide musical tastes: small speaker drivers, even when used in a properly designed horn like the Frugelhorn, will never have the weighty bass at louder volume that an 8" speaker can provide. I mention this because, while Norah Jones will likely sound fantastic, I think that these speakers may disappoint with Rage Against the Machine etc.

An 8" subwoofer can take care of all the bass you need and should easily be able to cross high enough to blend with either FH3 or Microtower.

For the OP, I would recommend Microtower as a first build since it is much simpler to cut and assemble. If you are an experienced woodworker, then take your pick.

As talaerts has said, though, FR designs on their own are a bit of a specialty application. Bass heavy genres suffer and full symphonic selections can be iffy.

Thanks for replies. I thought about microtower and FH as CHP70 doesn't cost a lot. Fostex Fe206 are probably more adequate but less affordable.
I will continue to search an adapted speaker, but MT could be a good first challenge. I can add a woofer later.

Thanks for replies. I thought about microtower and FH as CHP70 doesn't cost a lot. Fostex Fe206 are probably more adequate but less affordable.
I will continue to search an adapted speaker, but MT could be a good first challenge. I can add a woofer later.

when you say "adapted speaker" do you mean a driver that will fit the same mounting space? if so, be aware that of the 2 enclosures designs cited (which I've built) , the port tuning and/or damping schemes are optimized per driver, and blithely substituting may not yield the intended results

By adapted speaker I meant corresponding to what I'm used to listen.

well, regardless of how familiar any of us might be with your musical genre preferences, it's pretty hard to guess which drivers if any might correspond to unnamed system(s) that you're used to

As far as I understand, drivers are rarely switchable in the same enclosure.
you might be surprised how often that's not understood - "gee, I like the look/idea of XYZ design, but can I just stretch/scale/modify the dimensions to suit my requirements?"

edit:

as noted above, I'm familiar with both the MT and FH3 designs, and certainly for small to mid sized rooms and moderate listening levels, either could suffice - in much larger spaces or if seeking "realistic concert level peaks", the class of drivers with which they're designed to excel would have troubles without assistance of (multiple) woofers

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
My microTowers handle Rage Against the Machine quite admirably, all things considered. Trouser flapping? No. Realistic, respectable and thoroughly enjoyable? Yes (but this is very subjective, of course). Lets just say that I do not "crank" the volume like I would if I had 250-watt multi-way speakers. At "reasonable SPL" they reproduce anything I want to listen to, as loud as my 41-year-old ears need to hear it (and my music collection seems to be as eclectic as yours).

But I did not choose microTowers so I could "crank it to 11"...

Last edited:
I suspect our definitions of decent listening levels are different. The Op did not indicate HT was a consideration. The bands listed really don't have a lot of material below 40Hz.

Anyway, there are a number of 8" sub designs that will do ~103 - 105dB at 40Hz. That meets my definition of "decent listening level".

I'm not so sure an 8" driver is enough. I used two in a cabinet, sealed with eq to get low. They hit 14mm p/p excursion pretty quick on anything with <40Hz content at decent listening levels.
In a tapped horn, maybe.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.