Crazy deal at madisound - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2011, 06:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Crazy deal at madisound

Is this worth taking advantage of?

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...er-cone-8-ohm/
Old 20th December 2011, 03:17 PM   #2
woof is offline woof  United States
diyAudio Member

At $60 for a case of 30, a lot of people are doing cheap line arrays.
Old 6th January 2012, 03:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Would the quality of this be equivalent to the old RS 1197's etc.

I go back far enough to remember when the full range gang was trying to squeeze more performance out of inexpensive drivers rather than the current generation of upscale product.

As Mr. Spock said, "how about making a full range speaker build with stone knives and
bear skins?"

The actual frequency range is not given but my music will be heard by me rather than a pet so it's less of an issue these days.

I'll try to plug the TS parameters into the BIB calculator. 'Been wanting to re-use the BIB I have. The hole is cut for an Alpair but there's always the possibility that those will go on deal.

For any tips on the application, the Aurasound would be used with a solid state rather than chip amp or tube.
Old 6th January 2012, 04:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Aside from keeping my clithes clean when i eat ribs, whats a BIB?
Old 6th January 2012, 05:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Etocynned,

There's quite a bit of information on here about Terry Cains Bigger Is Better build that has accumulated over the years. Apologies for using shorthand.

Use your favorite search tool to see articles and pictures.

For convenience here is the big one:

Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

It was actually continued by many readers as an ongoing tribute to one of the premier designers and builders who has since died.

Something a bit easier to deal with is the information at zillaspeak.com called the BIB calculator. It gives the physical description and a spread sheet into which speaker parameters can can be added to create a custom BIB cabinet for the speaker of your choice.

That should get you going. I've built the BIB myself and used various drivers in it. It is a very satisfying build for the single driver enthusiast.
Old 6th January 2012, 05:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

These have foam surrounds. I'd sure hate to have to re-cone an array of them at some point down the road. So is foam better these days or still subject to the disintegration problems of the past? I never buy speakers with foam surrounds. Is this prudent or no longer an issue?
Old 6th January 2012, 07:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes, it's much better. Note that the older deterioration was after many years. A number of good subs use foam surrounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosteve View Post
These have foam surrounds. I'd sure hate to have to re-cone an array of them at some point down the road. So is foam better these days or still subject to the disintegration problems of the past? I never buy speakers with foam surrounds. Is this prudent or no longer an issue?
Old 6th January 2012, 07:33 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Foam still sucks, and not just on old Advents and JBLs, and sometimes they break down pretty quickly. I had 9 of the bose PA speakers, and re-foaming all 64 drivers was a nightmare. I had 8 JBL 18's I bought new which deteriorated before I completed the cabinets, so I re-coned them. They deteriorated again while still in the boxes waiting to be mounted. I have a recent KEF sub with surround foam that's getting sticky, the first sign of deterioration. The rate of deterioration seems to have more to do with exosure to temperature extremes than ozone. But they still don't have it right, JBL 18's with foam surrounds still rot out quicky. I've lost so many thousands of dollars on foam surrounds I don't even want to think about it; I'm sure there are a dozen others in the garage.
Old 6th January 2012, 10:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yeah. I think I'll continue to make the known safe choice. No rubber surround, no sale.
Old 7th January 2012, 02:20 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosteve View Post
Foam surrounds are way better than they used to be. We need to wait a couple decades to see how much better. Rubber surrounds are no guarantee against failure, i have seen many that suffer from stiff surround syndrome. Cloth is longer lived althou the coatings will sometimes harden. Leather may well bethe most long lived (the surrounds on some 12" field coils from 1932 were still fine when i recycled them some 70 years later.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!