1 driver 150hz-20khz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I need some help here. anyone know of some descent sized magic driver capable of handling 150hz-20khz(or close) at 95-100db?

Preferably 4" or smaller.

Ive found a few drivers myself, but I want a few suggestions from the "experts" at the forum before i lead you in the wrong direction.

Btw. a listening angle as wide as possible is preferred:)

Venue / application, space for enclosure type ?"

Since this is the full-range forum, most replies are likely to focus on achieving this with a single driver model (or multiples thereof).

As damaging as even relatively short term exposure at 95dB average at any listening distance would be, there certainly are drivers that could achieve that in very nearfield (1-2meteres) - but filling a 20,000 ft^3 space is a different story.

My first suggestion might be something like Fostex FE126En in a small backloaded horn - could easily dig deeper than 150Hz, and certainly achieve SPLs in the mid 90s., and as tuxedocivic suggested, XO to powered woofers would increase attainable levels and reduce distortion.

chrisp,
may be, but a 4" never get his wished SPL, look measurements of such drivers,
may be a FLUTE-sat is enough, but max. 95 dB, 126eN has a xmax of 0,35 mm
so not that driver! better take something like TB W4-1320SJ or TB W4-1757SB

horsey - FWIW, I've built several designs and our friend Ed Schilling has sold hundreds of pairs of his Horns using this model of Fostex driver that have easily achieved the targeted (or higher) SPLs

While the FE126En is only rated at 0.35mm xmax, it'll certainly move more than that without a problem. And being 91-93 dB 1w/1m, it doesn't go as low as the TB's, so higher SPL could be obtained (with less power, too). However, I don't think it'll sound too good at the SPL's being mentioned here.

Ive done some thinking and calculating. I think that a peak of 100db should be the guideline here...

the listening space is very small.

There will be a highpass filter.

Dont want too reveal where I am going too use the drivers yet, because this mite be a bit distracting.

Ive been looking at some of those TB drivers myself, do they sound good?

The reason I want the drivers as small as possible is simply dispersion.

Last edited:
That's more like 85 to 90db continuous and does open up your options a lot. Is that 100db at the LP? I'm assuming so. You say a small space, so thats... what, a 2.5m listening distance?

Ok, lets assume it's 3m so you need 100db at 3m. That's peaks of about 109.5 @1m. Considering it's a small space, lets fudge that and say peaks of 105db @1m will provide you with the required 100db at the LP.

Now lets assume you have 100 watts on tap. With 100watts, you will achieve 100db at the LP with an 85db/watt/m driver, assuming there is no power compression!! There will be, sooo you need better than that. Half the power to 50watts means you need 88db/watt/m. That's a good target.

But what about baffle step losses? We are in a small place. Can you accept a large enclosure? Baffle step can rob you of around 4 or 5db easily, below the baffle step of the box that is.

I would say you want a 90db/watt/m driver.

This maybe? http://www.solen.ca/pdf/fostex/fe103en.pdf

This is slightly larger, but much more effecient: http://www.solen.ca/pdf/fostex/fe126en.pdf

Those are going to need a close look at the excursion plots. They'll need to be highpassed probably around 150 or 200hz minimum to survive 50watt blasts. And that is slightly above the rated power handling of the larger one.

Wow! That is going to be loud.

I bought a cheap (Radio Shack) SPL meter to see what my levels were. I realize it won't be as accurate as professional equipment but it does get me in the ball park.

Normal listening level in my shop at 1M from a FE130EN playing "English Sunset" by The Moody Blues I was looking at 57-60dB (C weighted). I listen to the TV at about the same level.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.