Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2011, 07:32 PM   #1
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Default COmpensation networks

Searching this forum I don't see much on compensation networks for full range other than basic impedance, Zobel etc. Is the concept of using passive compensation to assist the response smoothness just baleful for the full range set?

I also don't see much on multi-driver. My guess is the concept of putting up with a small full range is to avoid driver interaction. I have two projects in mind, a little set of monitors to run off my 6 W tube amp, and a set of high fidelity PA (or is that an oxymoron) speakers for a local establishment. The BOSE concept is sound, but price is above what some can handle and the sub is garbage. I know my subs are vastly better.
Old 12th December 2011, 07:52 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Zaph|Audio

hi,

The above is one, but don't expect much from 6W unless nearfield.

Zaph|Audio has the NS3 design, the driver is usually a lot more than the HiVi, but here
it isn't : Aurasound NS3-193-8A1 3" Black Cone wide range: Madisound Speaker Store

The NS3 has the best bass of any 3" apparently.

PA speakers are a completely different kettle of fish.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 12th December 2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 13th December 2011, 03:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi tvrgeek
Martin J King has software to calculate the coil/resistor circuit to compensate for dominating treble in a full range design. The calculation is based on the driver in the actual cabinet, placement of the cabinet and the interior.

I would not live without :-)
Old 13th December 2011, 09:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks. SoundEasy can help with modeling but every utility is worth grabbing. I was just wondering if this was common practice, or if the single driver club expected to be "pure".

Sreten, you would be surprised how sufficient a little tube 6W is driving any of my small-ish speakers in my office. Sure, not my main system. It is a highly modified Meng 6P1 PP amp. Basically garbage, but was fun to learn about tubes. I got it cleaner than my vintage HK Elite 300A that is about 12 W and was considered pretty high end in it's day.
Old 13th December 2011, 11:40 PM   #5
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Still with a small amplifier its best to implement BSC at line level,
on the input, or build BSC into the amplifiers feedback loop.

rgds, sreten.
Old 14th December 2011, 11:39 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Or, if you use the computer as source, adjust an equalizer on your music playback software.
Old 14th December 2011, 08:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks. Like I said, just testing the waters here on general thoughts. A lot has changed with the advent of DSP; vastly more than crude EQ.

It is funny that in the marketplace no one has been successful selling line level compensators as part of their speaker. Kef tried. Mac sort of tried. I think Linn did at one time. Bose was speaker level and you can do only so much with 50 cent drivers even with nine of them. They are trying again with their PA system stick speakers. I guess the normal ( not us) customers would have considered it a band-aid hack, not a better systems approach. Sad.

Most receivers don't have a pre-out/main-in loop anymore. I tried the first generation simple Audessy and was not impressed. Maybe the more advanced versions would be useful. Excuse for a new receiver in the guest room maybe?..... I have not gone the computer as a source yet. Until I can get enough horsepower with no fans, it is a non starter for me. Fortunately the newer chips are doing far better in the power situation. I remember when we did not even have heat sinks on our CPU's. (Z80)
Old 15th December 2011, 12:52 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Your solution is simple. There is no requirement/necessity for the computer to be in the same room as the listening. There are multiple ways to manage, at all levels of cost and complexity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
I have not gone the computer as a source yet. Until I can get enough horsepower with no fans, it is a non starter for me. Fortunately the newer chips are doing far better in the power situation. I remember when we did not even have heat sinks on our CPU's. (Z80)
Old 15th December 2011, 07:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Problem is both cost and complexity. Both are improving every day.

Hide this!Advertise here!