My Pioneer BOFU open back

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Been wanting to post a photo of these -- the first project I've posted here.

Unorthodox no doubt, but I love that open upper midrange with the Pioneers, piano and vocals are awesome and I've ALWAYS been a fan of non-directional sounding speakers -- a bit sloppy is a good thing to me. Many speakers sound too clinical -- too much like "speakers" rather than music.

The subwoofer takes care of the very low end and I'm using a Vifa tweeter with a simple 3uf crossover and that's it. Mounted the tweeters behind the baffle (for now) for aesthetic reasons and yes there may be a diffraction problem but not if you're sitting where I ALWAYS sit on my couch. Believe it or not, I actually preferred the way the Vifas sounded mounted behind the bafffle.

Did not recess the woofer mount either but because of the ABS plastic routing was very difficult. No big whoop anyway.

I found that there is a real sweet spot based on distance to the wall.

Love these speakers, using a Rotel power amp and a bit a Breakaway compression with my WAV files (just a touch).

Technically, some may take issue with these but they sound GREAT -- with the open back and top firing woofer they really fill the room.

Attachments

• full.jpg
    full.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 211
  • singlespkr.jpg
    singlespkr.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 207
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Interesting design. :up: Seems to look back to the 1950s.

So you tune them a bit by moving them closer or farther from the wall - changing the size of the gap? And does your speaker wire run in the plastic molding? That's super clean.

>>> a bit sloppy is a good thing to me...

My son has the B20 in OB and we all love the way they sound. DIY is all about having fun and enjoying music and you've done exactly that! What's cool about OB is it lights up the room with sound (I think Nelson said something about 'back wall illumination' but not sure where i read it). But it's true, 'illuminating the back wall' creates a different kind of experience for the music lover. I agree, it's sloppier than sealed boxes but why should one be considered correct and the other not? Adding the top firing woofer is something i've not yet tried but i would imagine it would add to the sloppiness (lol) and possibly further enhance the overall presentation.

Enjoy your very cool, experimental and unique system.

Zilla

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.