full range + woofer OR full range + tweeter ? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2011, 09:09 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

>>> Definetely small full range with bass support.

Definetly large full range with tweeter.

LOL, I think both approaches can work beautifully. The hardest part is choosing which to focus your efforts... maybe pick one first and the other next. Doing both may uncover strategies and best practices to handle each.

Personally, i think the BEST approach is a full range driver (pick your favorite regardless of size), add a woofer for bass support and a tweeter for treble support.

But that's just me.

Zilla
Old 8th December 2011, 09:18 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

Personally, i think the BEST approach is a full range driver (pick your favorite regardless of size), add a woofer for bass support and a tweeter for treble support.

There 's a 4 alphanumeric word to decribe it : 3-way
Old 8th December 2011, 09:38 PM   #23
_henry_ is offline _henry_  Australia
diyAudio Member

U can use exodus anarchy 2 per side to get approx 86-87db sens, with reasonably small ported box 1ft3 with port tuned to 40hz.

If u can go active that would be even better, with some EQ on bottom end, u prob get 30hz in room performance.

Cheers
Henry
Old 8th December 2011, 10:18 PM   #24
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Even SS would be ok ...
go and wash your mouth out with soap and water !

I want to use tubes, and as I've never dabbled with PP tubes this is another opportunity to learn. I have some 6C4C's to use up (or I could buy some KT88's) - and Class AB would allow headroom for some bass transients whilst still giving me Class A most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
One gets rid of a very significant downside of XOs if one can space the drivers such that they are within a 1/4 wavelength (or less) of each other.
That's an excellent point, whilst it would be possible to put the tweeter in front of the woofer it would no longer be an OB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
It is also an ideal place (if one takes care with driver selection) to do a series XO. The very nature of the series XO also means that the responses of the 2 drivers can automatically compensate for anomalies inherent in the drivers.
Do tell more - can you point me to further information, it sounds like something I should investigate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
are they treated to any degree?
they have the tri-foil 'Dave' treatment but this didn't fix the issue; no eNable yet though. Notch filter killed the sound. The Fountek's are great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _henry_ View Post
U can use exodus anarchy 2 per side to get approx 86-87db sens.
If possible, I'd like to get into 90dB territory, which kind of suggests the full range can't be too small.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 8th December 2011, 10:22 PM   #25
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

yes, definitely a good fullrange with tweeter and woofer!
http://edsaudiopages.blogspot.com/20...hese-days.html

Last edited by adason; 8th December 2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 9th December 2011, 03:11 AM   #26
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

I've honestly never seen what all the fuss is about with putting crossovers in any "critical range" (different numbers are always thrown about every time), as a 4th order crossover sounds just as bad to me at 100Hz as it does at 1KHz. I've found that the only way to avoid the ringing and negative effects of crossovers while still using them is to carefully use simple 1st order filters, which is difficult to do correctly. Ideally, this usually limits designs to something like a 3" driver with a small woofer in a 2-way ..or said 2-way that rolls off at 100Hz and a carefully chosen "sub" with a 1st order low-pass at that freq (digitally, with a separate amplifier).

Last edited by BHTX; 9th December 2011 at 03:15 AM.
Old 9th December 2011, 03:20 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

I guess everyone have their own perspective

Cheers
Henry
Old 9th December 2011, 03:25 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

I do found out that a true 3way have the best sound. After using jx92 and alpairs. They do miss the highs and don't have enough bottom end to provide real live music.

On the other hand, if u want something sweet sounding, easy to build, and listening at low level, fullrangers like alpair10 and jx92s is definitely is better than most 2ways.

Cheers
Henry
Old 9th December 2011, 03:28 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

The exodus anarchy actually meant as bass helper, with active xo and biamp, the sens become non issue.

Since its alum, u can match them with alpairs or jx92s, or with Jim's mini monitor.

Of course going with bigger woofer always rewarding.

Cheers
Henry
Old 9th December 2011, 03:34 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Space constraint = find good xmax of 7-8inchers, which exodus fits this, and with very small box volume.

Big space = use 15" pro woofer, something like lambda td15 or dipole15, eminence kappa lite 15"

Invest on EQ, like mr. Pass B5 or dsp based EQ, starting from minidsp, dcx, hypex, DBx, labgruppen etc.

Ribbon usually good match with alum cones, although I don't have extensive experience.

Cheers
Henry

Hide this!Advertise here!