Visaton Line-Array with curved front - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2011, 07:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Visaton Line-Array with curved front

Hello out there
I like to introduce my new speaker based on Visaton Pentaton BB because I'm amazed by myself how gorgeous they sound. Very natural, accurate and holographic, more like a BIG magnetostatic or electrostatic system than a typical full-range system. I owned some very expensive speaker systems the last 20 years but this one beats them all -but costs are comparatively low.
Eight Visaton BG20 and two B200 per side in a curved front closed box. The two B200 are central and play full-range, the BG20 are cut off at higher freq. from 9500Hz down to 1600Hz, beginning middle to the outside. The radius of the curve is the distance to the listening area (here 5.5m ~18ft.) so all speaker are directed to the ears. The crossover is in a separate wooden box near the power amplifiers. Below approx. 160Hz the line-array is cut by a BSS FDS 336 and there are two horns like those from Klipsch per side (the line array got a delay of course). The next days there will be a sub driven by PD2450 Precision Devices to get frequency from 16-40Hz
It is really worth to experiment with this kind of arrangement
Old 7th December 2011, 07:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

and here some pictures what I'm writing about
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Konstrukt 032.jpg (586.5 KB, 506 views)
File Type: jpg Konstrukt 033.jpg (598.2 KB, 451 views)
File Type: jpg Pentaton 034.jpg (594.4 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg Pentaton 035.jpg (587.4 KB, 400 views)
File Type: jpg Bild 003.jpg (317.5 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg Bild 002.jpg (293.4 KB, 222 views)
Old 7th December 2011, 07:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes I was intrigued when I first saw the Pentaton in Klang & Ton (or Hobby Hifi, I forgot which magazine). Now I seem to remember that you really had to be in the "sweet spot" to have good treble response. Do you experience that as well?

Last edited by talaerts; 7th December 2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 7th December 2011, 07:25 PM   #4
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Some pics would be nice. Having a little trouble visualizing. Are they horizontal line array? Which horns from Klipsch? Are the crossovers for the bg20s or the bass or both?
Old 7th December 2011, 07:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
I have 8 of cheap Chinese no-name 4" polypropylene cone drivers per side, plus 16 notebook speakers per side as tweeters, in walls. Sounds gorgeous. Nothing curved, nothing special, but sounds fantastic. A pair of 12" woofers in concrete boxes match them well. Sweet spot is all around the listening room, also in the adjacent kitchen.
Old 7th December 2011, 07:32 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

>talaerts You're right, it is important to have the ears in the sweet-spot to have the full performance. But half a meter left or right is also okay. For two people it is practicable to listen. But sitting in the right position it is absolute phantastic and holographic-a guitar sounds like that and a big orchestra does too. The rate is correct, equal if a single guitar or a big orchestra. The best I've listened to for years
Old 7th December 2011, 07:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

As background info, Koserthal was inspired by this "Pentaton B" system:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 7th December 2011, 07:33 PM   #8
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

The pics came in while I was typing. Looks good. It was the "beginning middle to the outside" that threw me. Glad your ceiling's not lower.
Old 7th December 2011, 07:50 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yes, this is the Pentaton BB that inspired me to build a line array from the floor up to the ceiling. To get the ten-in-line i had to derate the high and enlarge width. The capacity of the cabinets are the same as the original ones
Old 7th December 2011, 09:05 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I like the idea, and the horns behind are very well integrated in the visual design.

But can somebody explain me the relevance of a curved baffle claiming " to put each speaker at the same distance of the ears" when the filter is a 3 ways ( and not a first order) introducing it's own phase shifts ? Is this enough offset to compensate everything at once ?

Hide this!Advertise here!