Visaton Line-Array with curved front - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2011, 09:58 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radugazon View Post
But can somebody explain me the relevance of a curved baffle claiming " to put each speaker at the same distance of the ears" when the filter is a 3 ways ( and not a first order) introducing it's own phase shifts ? Is this enough offset to compensate everything at once ?
]
It was my point. Low distortions, good imaging on wide listening area, are major pluses of line arrays. They sound equally nice when I stand in the room, or sit on the sofa. Why curved?
Old 7th December 2011, 10:26 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Why curved?
I was just about to ask this question myself.
Old 7th December 2011, 10:41 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Time align perhaps???
Old 8th December 2011, 01:34 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Of course, the intention is time aligning. This can be justified with unfiltered full rangers, but here with the filters, I wonder if the small resulting offset is enough.
As the system sounds nicely, this means maybe that the concave curved baffle is more a cosmetic affair, it's rather a good new for DIY business.

OTOH, maybe the "misalignment" is a volunteer feature of the design by Visaton (shading, tapered, taping... I dunno the right term) that can be seen in Keele or Russel arrays. Quad also. This I would like to know because I am planning some arrays too.
Old 8th December 2011, 01:58 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Anyway, solidly standing on floor curved arrays look much more impressive than my humble tall frames on walls...
Old 8th December 2011, 09:05 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

The main reason is, right, the correct timing, especially when you got a short distance to your listening area. Next is the drivers are real point sounders but with the curved front you're sitting in the sweet spot. I can say that even small instruments like a violin don't appear like a big intrument. Before I owned a Infinity RS1-wonderful speaker by the way- but small intruments were pictured too big and sopranos seems to be 3meter large.
I also listened to line-arrays approx. the same height (2,25m ~7.38 ft.) like Infinity Reference Standard or Genesis 1.1 and they are wonderful when sitting more than 10m (32ft.) away but in a smaller room like most people have it doesn't work anymore. Another member said my speaker would sounds like giant headphones. That's right
Old 8th December 2011, 10:33 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

hmm........... with the other drivers coming in at 950hz and below, I think as long as you are within 1/4 wavelength of the crossover point, you'd be in phase.

I made a 4 x 4" full range driver (wires series/parallel).
Vert sweet spot was maybe 2" at 12'. And you had to be 10-12' away. Disorienting when you stand up. And that 4" has maybe 3 people wide dispersion at 12' also.

Otherwise it sounded excellent, but only had the area of a single 8".
Click the image to open in full size.

I dare someone to make a focused 4, 6, or 8 driver b200, maybe the betsy drivers.
The dynamics would be awesome.

Norman
Old 8th December 2011, 12:17 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I like to say that the developer of the Pentaton BB has drafted a supplement for the crossover, he called it PLUS which lowers the efficienty factor but with a much more powerful and lower bass.
Even the Base, the Pentaton BB, is high rated by people who lisened to and they are united that for that money you hardly can get a equivalent.
I don't use the PLUS supplement because I got the Horn assisting the line array-by the way the favourite sleeping place of my cat who is frequently boarding in-until this awful noise is starting..
Old 8th December 2011, 12:37 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

there is a guy that uses 8 b200 all wired in parallel (flat vert array).
remember that it (b200) has +15db rise from 100hz to 15khz.
And, a flat 8" has limited dispersion past 2khz..........

post #589 (picture)
Ultimate OB Gallery

Paul Hynes talks about it.
Lowther Array Open Baffle?

I have a soft spot for one of my earliest speakers, 6 x 8" rat shacks in each Kustom pa column speaker (long sold). Very loud (ac/dc, bon jovi). But I am worried that if I remade this, my ears have become so much more picky, that I may not like it now, eventhough I prefer full range drivers.

It is better to keep all these old projects in a back room so you can swap them out for comparison.

Norman

Hide this!Advertise here!