Smallest enclosure W3-871SC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For your purpose, you could consider making a sealed box just a bit larger than the drivers themselves. The bass will smoothly roll off and you can dial in a subwoofer in the future to handle bass duty. I'd also consider aperiodic (just drill some small holes in the back of the box). Clearly you are not looking for optimal performance, but my experience with TB is that they work well in small sealed boxes.

The 4L box is optimal (ie Q=0.707). F3=131.8Hz

With a 1.5L box, there is 0.5dB hump in the mid-bass. More importantly, the increase in Q is not much. A slight increase in Q (from 0.707 to 0.855) for a reduction the box vol from 4L to 1.5L is a good trade-off.

Bass is only slightly less, from F3=131.8Hz to 136.5Hz. In practical terms, no difference.

You will need to support the W3 with your sub-woofer. The problem you will encounter is the mid-bass. Most active subs are designed for Home Theater use, hence they excel in the 40-30Hz region. When crossed at 125Hz, these subs have difficulty in producing clear, distinct mid-bass.

Attachments

• TB W3-871SC_4L.jpg
    TB W3-871SC_4L.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 531
  • TB W3-871SC_1_5L.jpg
    TB W3-871SC_1_5L.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 515
For your purpose, you could consider making a sealed box just a bit larger than the drivers themselves. The bass will smoothly roll off and you can dial in a subwoofer in the future to handle bass duty. I'd also consider aperiodic (just drill some small holes in the back of the box). Clearly you are not looking for optimal performance, but my experience with TB is that they work well in small sealed boxes.

I was thinking also about that because I've found that the Logitech Z5500 has the TB w3-871sc in a very small satellite enclosure so I think it will work for me, I'm going to try to fin the specs of this enclosure.

Thank you for your help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.