Bass reflex design for PM6C?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has any body got a design with a bass reflex tipe of enclosure for the Lowther PM6C? Can it be done with WinISD? I tried with this software and it is not included. Also I tried to add the parameters but I miss some from official lowther web site, so I can't simulate either with WinISD. Has any body tried with winISD and Lowther PM6C??
Thanks in advance.

The first two links are the standard T/S parameters from Lowther, they are wrong. The third link may be actual measured values since they are closer to what I measured.

I think the foam surround and spider on Lowther drivers makes the unit to unit variation fairly high. If you are going to buy Lowther drivers make sure you have the capability to measure the T/S properties before designing an enclosure.

Lowthers are great drivers but the buyer/user needs to be careful and technically savvy to get the best results from a pair.

Martin

Some how the WinISD doesn't work either. I fill the T/S parameters, then the electrico mechanical parameters (some of them) and it gives error. There is no way I can go any further. Also is sodificult, if not impossible, to find a bass reflex design wich should be easy... aiiah! There is a guy selling a pair of PM6C here and I would only get them if there is a simple box design for them. Otherwise I'll may go for Fostex FE167E.

I have never used WinISD so I cannot comment. My measured properties are consistent, did you try them. Maybe a different freeware program would work better.

There is a world of difference between Lowther and Fostex drivers. If you can get the Lowther drivers to work you will be amazed. Fostex drivers are very good but are not Lowthers.

Martin

I've just done it with a beta version of winisd, and it will give me a box of 28,3 litres, vented with 5 cm diameter and 8 cm depth. Of course if parameters are OK!! I'll try and upload an image of parameters with WinISD.
By the way, wich other software do you know?

By the way, [to MJK] wich other software do you know?

Martin has made his own software (and generously allows people to license it):

MathCad Computer Models : Upgraded Versions

Whereas WinISD is a box calculator (not really a simulator), Martin's software models a very large number of factors, for example the box's internal geometry, the exterior geometry (e.g., baffle width), floor bounce, wall and ceiling boundaries etc.

But Martin's software -can- definitely model simple boxes. When you are ready to move off WinISD, his software will let you start accounting for additional factors as you are ready, e.g., baffle step, distance from the listening position, toe-in, placement in the room, etc.

If you don't want to -design- a box, then as Martin suggested, check out this design of his (it's a simple build, and has vastly better bass than a bass reflex as long as you do the circuit):

Enclosure Design and Construction for the Lowther DX Series of Drivers

Well, if you want something small then there is always Lowther's own Bicor 20 design, it is a kind of double bass reflex.
I haven't heard it but you still shouldn't expect any real bass from it. Still, if you have the speakers then it's worth a try. I think you need to buy the detailed plans from Lowther, they are not on the site.
For compact speakers with real bass you can perhaps check out the Markaudio speakers.

Some how the WinISD doesn't work either.

You either only input the basic T/S parameters Fs, Vas, Qms, Qes, Re, Sd or Dd and let the program calculate the rest; or input Qms, Cms, Mms, BL, Re, Sd or Dd and let it calculate the T/S parameters, with the latter being the most accurate overall.

Also, better to use the Pro Alpha version which is a bit more accurate.

MJK's and Lowther London's specs are wildly different, so unless you get yours measured, best overall to design based on the London's specs as it calculates a much larger cab and use EQ as required to tonally balance them. That, or make MJK’s design.

Anyway, here's the Pro Alpha driver specs to load into its ‘drivers’ folder, then you can choose them in the box program menu: Downloadable WinISD Pro Files - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

GM

well, I'm sure it will, but I'm looking for something more like a classic bass reflex box. Just like the FE207E's. Martin's is far too big for what I'm looking for. May be I'm fiddling with the wrong driver...

Unless you have the drivers in hand or on order, and if the physical dimensions or build complexity of enclosures in with the Lowthers are generally considered to deliver their best (such as BLH, MLTL or OB with support woofers), you might well be better to consider a different make.

Quite simply, the Lowther is not designed for classic BR boxes.

indeed

Well, if you want something small then there is always Lowther's own Bicor 20 design, it is a kind of double bass reflex.

a bit more elaborate than that

I haven't heard it but you still shouldn't expect any real bass from it. Still, if you have the speakers then it's worth a try. I think you need to buy the detailed plans from Lowther, they are not on the site.
well with a little creative googling, detailed plans for many of the Lowther "factory", as well as quite a few excellent DIY enclosure designs are out there

For compact speakers with real bass you can perhaps check out the Markaudio speakers.[/QUOTE]

I'm a big fan of the MA / Alpair drivers, but there's a sensitivity premium and maximum SPL to be paid for their bandwidth that might be an issue when compared a Lowther.

You either only input the basic T/S parameters Fs, Vas, Qms, Qes, Re, Sd or Dd and let the program calculate the rest; or input Qms, Cms, Mms, BL, Re, Sd or Dd and let it calculate the T/S parameters, with the latter being the most accurate overall.

Also, better to use the Pro Alpha version which is a bit more accurate.

MJK's and Lowther London's specs are wildly different, so unless you get yours measured, best overall to design based on the London's specs as it calculates a much larger cab and use EQ as required to tonally balance them. That, or make MJK’s design.

Anyway, here's the Pro Alpha driver specs to load into its ‘drivers’ folder, then you can choose them in the box program menu: Downloadable WinISD Pro Files - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

GM

Thanks, but I can't open with winisd pro alpha the wdr files. My winisd only opens wpr files...:confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.