3" full-range speaker design help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Can anyone help me with an enclosure design please. I ordered 4 aurasound NS3's to muck around with as a first diy speaker project. (I can order another 4 if required).

i have considered a line array but can't afford 48 drivers! ... and I would need an EQ aswell which I don't have.

A simple design as open baffle could work as I plan to add these speakers to either a AV 5.1 setup with sub or to my stereo MTM setup so bass is not a problem.

I have found a backloaded horn design that uses 2xdriver per side but the construction is a bit much for the tools that I have.

Any help will be much appreciated.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Aura is a 3" that digs down deep (for a 3"). My 1st thots were much aong the same lines as Sreten's, but the ML-TL looks interesting, except that the bracing should run the length of the line, not horizontal where it constricts the line.

Gregg-the-Geek also started a thread here somewhere on a big BR he dig that digs deep,

dave

Hi,

IMHO complex boxes are simply not required if a subwoofer is involved,
i.e. your talking the speakers being set to "small" in an AV amplifier.

With two drivers per side your choices IMO are a sealed
bipole or a sealed 0.5 way, both around 5 to 6 litres.

A 0.5 way would forgo the lower of Zaphs filters but keep the other one.
But TBH AFAICT Zaphs filters are carefully chosen, and unless volume
is an issue it will be hard to better his single driver version.

Perhaps the simplest bet is sealed 5 to 6L MTM based on the ML-TL c/o.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim, that is exactly the type of design I was looking for! I have 4 ohm drivers though, so will have to simulate and adjust the x-over to suit two in series i.s.o two 8ohms in parallel. I haven't looked at the HiVi tweeter specs but guess I should get an 8ohm version?

I think it would be nice to able to listen without the sub if you're in the mood.
The simple and obvious solution is not to double up on the 3" in a .5 configuration, but to use the 3" as a mid-tweet and add a 5" or 6" (or even a 6.5", like the DC160 . . . wich is poor in the mids, but gives good bass), crossed at maybe 300-400 Hz., as a woofer. Since there's be considerable overlap of available range a simple series crossover would suffice, and you'd end up with a much better performing speaker for very little more money.

ok, here are my thoughts...please correct me if I get it wrong. Any comments welcome.

I have 4 x 4ohm aura's to play with. I chose them as they were extended range and cheap.
I have a speaker design for a MLTL MTM. Which is a 2 way system using extended range drivers for the mids. The tweeter is necessary to obtain high frequency production as the aura NS3 cuts off at around 15KHz.
Having to use a x-over I would like to keep it as simple as possible, i.o.w 1st order 6dB/octave should be sufficient as the x-over point is well within each of the drivers (mids and tweeter) range.
An Lpad would be necessary as the tweeter is 9dB more sensitive than the mids.
I might need a zobel on the mids but probably not as I will be cutting well below its range. (will have to hear with listening tests)
Looking at the SPL vs freq curve of the NS3 it starts breaking up above 10KHz so that is where I should put the x-over point. This is an advantage as the x-over point is out of the mid frequency band which is the most sensitive area for a persons ear.
The tweeter I intend using is the HiVi T20-8. It is nice and cheap, has a flat response from 1500Hz to 25KHz and it is 8ohm, as I intend using them together with 2 x 4ohm aura's in series. This way it is much simpler to keep the impedance across the frequency range reasonably flat.
Here is my x-over design. The Lpad attenuator will most probably have to be adjusted with listening tests. The design is based on a Linkwitz-Riley topology which has a x-over point aligned at -6dB.
The phase is 90 degrees shifted between high pass and low pass. Not much can be done about that. If it was a 2nd order x-over I would have inverted the tweeter as 2nd order x-overs produce a 180deg phase shift.

Attachments

• 1st order 2 way x-over.JPG
    1st order 2 way x-over.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 262
  • tinadiag.jpg
    tinadiag.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 256
  • tinadiag zoomed.jpg
    tinadiag zoomed.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Sreten is right about parallel connecting. Parallel connecting two NS3 (8 ohms version) yields a 4 ohms nominal impedance that is 6 dB more sensitive than a single driver. That is what I did in the design referenced in message #5 of this thread.

Series connecting two NS3 (4 ohms version) yields an 8 ohms nominal impedance but no increase in sensitivity vs. a single 4 ohms NS3.

Furthermore, for MTMs to work their best you need to crossover low enough to minimize lobing between the two mids. Thus a low crossover frequency and close spacing between drivers is essential. A 10 kHz crossover point will not be adequate in your design. You need to be looking at under 2500 to 3000 Hz for your design.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.