box design for alpair10's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im gonna be purchasing 2 Markaudio Alpair-10 Grey 6" Full Range Gen 2: Madisound Speaker Store one for each side of my computer desk, now i have experience with box building and designing when it comes to subwoofers (mainly car audio) but this will be my first box of this kind.

with that in mind i would like to keep it simple, just a simple ported box, and i have 2" aeroports already so i would like to utilize them.

basically what i need to know is how big should the box be and what should i tune the port to? the speakers will be high passed at 50hz with a 12db/octave slope but will be playing the full frequency range from there on up.

i dont understand litres and stuff so if possible could i get it in fraction of cubic feet? as in like .2 cubic feet or .5 cubic feet.

thanks!

thanks larry, but is there anyway i can just get cubic feet and tuning measurements? those dimensions wont really work for where im putting them, i have a program i use for plugging in dimensions and a port area to find tuning.

basically im just looking for "rule of thumb" measurements, like a generalized tuning that most people use for these kinds of speakers and such, and considering it is my first box im most likely gonna make another one, its not like its expensive to buy the wood for it.

now im not questioning your reasoning on the 38hz tuning, im just trying to learn, but i thought i would be tuning it alot higher honestly, like around 70-80hz, since it wont be playing anything lower then 50hz anyway, why would i tune so low? again not arguing, just trying to learn, also, with the 38hz tuning, it would till play up to 20khz no problem?

Last edited:
Tuning frequency is usually around Fs, this will damp the cone @ fs and give a reasonably smooth SPL! Tuning an octave above as you suggest would give a large boomy peak around that frequency! With the set-up I suggested you probably would not need a sub. I am using this driver in a 14 X 20 ft. room with a 5 watt KT88 se tube amp, the bass goes low and is VERY tunefull! Not wishing for a sub here!

Cheers

thanks for your explanation, that explains it. but i am still gonna need a subwoofer, i listen to alot of really heavy music, like the devil wears prada, job for a cowboy, bands like those, and alot of it digs way down in the frequency range, and i also listen to alot of bass heavy music like hip hop and dubstep which of course also digs way down in the frequency range.

GM

Joined 2003
Based on your stated needs, a lightly damped ~0.16 ft^3 net sealed alignment XO'd around 80 Hz is a much better solution to a vented one.

If the 50 Hz/2nd order XO is a given, then a vent tuning at least 50*0.707 = ~35.4 Hz is theoretically called for, requiring ~1.05 ft^3 net and maybe some EQ to flatten it all out in-room, potentially not having enough power handling in the octave above Fb/Fs.

GM

Last edited:
the 50hz crossover isnt set, i was gonna buy some of those rca crossovers that partsexpress sells,http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=266-270 and use those, i just figured 50hz would be a good frequency to start rolling off, and leave the rest to the sub.

i already cut out the wood for the box, but the port is still negotiable, I.E what size and length. the box is 14x8x12 outside dimensions, half inch wood.

if i do a 1.5 inch round port thats 5 inches long i will end up with a box thats .55cubic feet and is tuned to 37.84hz

Note that an FMOD is a conviently packaged, usually compromised, and fairly expensive PLLXO (Passive Line Level XOver).

Within their limitations PLLXO is very good.

dave

thanks for the info, im gonna give the FMOD a try and if i dont like the results i will switch to a different style crossover, im not doing any real critical listening anyway, i have my headphones for that. if i dont like them in this scenario i have other uses for them anway

Last edited:
i already cut out the wood for the box, but the port is still negotiable, I.E what size and length.

if i do a 1.5 inch round port thats 5 inches long i will end up with a box thats .55cubic feet and is tuned to 37.84hz

Considering the app, I still recommend at least trying it sealed with a bit higher XO point.

A 1.5" dia. vent with this driver has a high enough vent mach at rated power to may need some damping to lower its harmonic output a bit.

In reality it should be tuned ~1 Hz lower, but the difference won't be audible, especially since it will be down in the XO's BW.

GM

Considering the app, I still recommend at least trying it sealed with a bit higher XO point.

A 1.5" dia. vent with this driver has a high enough vent mach at rated power to may need some damping to lower its harmonic output a bit.

In reality it should be tuned ~1 Hz lower, but the difference won't be audible, especially since it will be down in the XO's BW.

GM

ok so i will try them sealed first, as i have not cut the port hole in the box yet, would .56 cubes sealed be alright? cause thats what my box is. i may try 70hz or 80hz high pass if i go sealed.

It calculates a ~0.564 Qts, so near an ideal transient perfect 0.5 Qtc, which if you have test gear you could stuff it down to. Most folks can't tell the slight difference, so probably not worth the effort, especially since it will get a bit degraded from being XO'd. Still, you can always experiment with stuffing [as opposed to just lining] the cab if you're curious enough to try and improve its transient [impulse] response.

GM

It calculates a ~0.564 Qts, so near an ideal transient perfect 0.5 Qtc, which if you have test gear you could stuff it down to. Most folks can't tell the slight difference, so probably not worth the effort, especially since it will get a bit degraded from being XO'd. Still, you can always experiment with stuffing [as opposed to just lining] the cab if you're curious enough to try and improve its transient [impulse] response.

GM

thanks, glad to know that i made the box roughly the right size, ill try it like this and makes tweaks as necessary, i mean it only cost 20 bucks for the wood, and i have more glue than ill ever need, so remaking them is not a problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.