box design for alpair10's - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2011, 01:59 AM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt96olds View Post
... i was gonna buy some of those rca crossovers that partsexpress sells...
Note that an FMOD is a conviently packaged, usually compromised, and fairly expensive PLLXO (Passive Line Level XOver).

Within their limitations PLLXO is very good.

dave
Old 5th December 2011, 02:14 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Note that an FMOD is a conviently packaged, usually compromised, and fairly expensive PLLXO (Passive Line Level XOver).

Within their limitations PLLXO is very good.

dave
thanks for the info, im gonna give the FMOD a try and if i dont like the results i will switch to a different style crossover, im not doing any real critical listening anyway, i have my headphones for that. if i dont like them in this scenario i have other uses for them anway

Last edited by Curt96olds; 5th December 2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old 5th December 2011, 03:02 PM   #13
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt96olds View Post
i already cut out the wood for the box, but the port is still negotiable, I.E what size and length.

if i do a 1.5 inch round port thats 5 inches long i will end up with a box thats .55cubic feet and is tuned to 37.84hz
Considering the app, I still recommend at least trying it sealed with a bit higher XO point.

A 1.5" dia. vent with this driver has a high enough vent mach at rated power to may need some damping to lower its harmonic output a bit.

In reality it should be tuned ~1 Hz lower, but the difference won't be audible, especially since it will be down in the XO's BW.

GM
Old 5th December 2011, 05:27 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Considering the app, I still recommend at least trying it sealed with a bit higher XO point.

A 1.5" dia. vent with this driver has a high enough vent mach at rated power to may need some damping to lower its harmonic output a bit.

In reality it should be tuned ~1 Hz lower, but the difference won't be audible, especially since it will be down in the XO's BW.

GM
ok so i will try them sealed first, as i have not cut the port hole in the box yet, would .56 cubes sealed be alright? cause thats what my box is. i may try 70hz or 80hz high pass if i go sealed.
Old 5th December 2011, 08:30 PM   #15
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

It calculates a ~0.564 Qts, so near an ideal transient perfect 0.5 Qtc, which if you have test gear you could stuff it down to. Most folks can't tell the slight difference, so probably not worth the effort, especially since it will get a bit degraded from being XO'd. Still, you can always experiment with stuffing [as opposed to just lining] the cab if you're curious enough to try and improve its transient [impulse] response.

GM
Old 5th December 2011, 08:34 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
It calculates a ~0.564 Qts, so near an ideal transient perfect 0.5 Qtc, which if you have test gear you could stuff it down to. Most folks can't tell the slight difference, so probably not worth the effort, especially since it will get a bit degraded from being XO'd. Still, you can always experiment with stuffing [as opposed to just lining] the cab if you're curious enough to try and improve its transient [impulse] response.

GM
thanks, glad to know that i made the box roughly the right size, ill try it like this and makes tweaks as necessary, i mean it only cost 20 bucks for the wood, and i have more glue than ill ever need, so remaking them is not a problem
Old 6th December 2011, 10:30 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

The Alpair 10.2 is a wonderful sounding fullrange speaker! One of the widest bandwidth speakers out there, they have a fairly fragile cone and require a long break-in period! But they will reward the patient listener with great sound!

Enjoy!

Hide this!Advertise here!