LPF for one of two drivers in series - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2011, 04:11 AM   #1
RevMen is offline RevMen  United States
diyAudio Member
 
RevMen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Default LPF for one of two drivers in series

If I have a pair of EL70s per box (wired in series) with both drivers firing forward and I want to roll off the lower driver with Fc around 700 Hz, is it as simple as putting a ~57 uF cap across the leads of the lower driver?
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2011, 04:23 AM   #2
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMen View Post
If I have a pair of EL70s per box (wired in series) with both drivers firing forward and I want to roll off the lower driver with Fc around 700 Hz, is it as simple as putting a ~57 uF cap across the leads of the lower driver?
Almost. The 57uF will resonate with both drivers voice coil inductances which can be fun, so you need to place a snubber/zobel across each driver to make it appear resistive.

I used this trick in the 80's with Schulze KSP215 (East German Full Range drivers made for Studio monitoring) to allow more power handling and loudness, withpot loosing this "single-driver" sound.

Ciao T
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2011, 02:41 PM   #3
RevMen is offline RevMen  United States
diyAudio Member
 
RevMen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Is the Zobel necessary, or just desirable?

So you're saying the upper driver should have a Zobel network (resistor and capacitor in series) across its leads, and the lower driver should have a Zobel network across its leads in parallel with a filtering capacitor?
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2011, 02:50 PM   #4
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMen View Post
Is the Zobel necessary, or just desirable?
With the drivers I used then (~ 25 Years ago) they where essential.

If your drivers have very low voice coil inductance (by virtue of having a copper cap over the pole piece) you may be able to do without.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMen View Post
So you're saying the upper driver should have a Zobel network (resistor and capacitor in series) across its leads, and the lower driver should have a Zobel network across its leads in parallel with a filtering capacitor?
Yes, plus the Zobel must be sized to oppose the Voice coil inductance, which as we know also varies somewhat excursion... If the manufacturer supplies reliable spec's for Le (Voicecoil Inductance) there are on-line calculators for the job...

Ciao T
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2011, 03:15 PM   #5
RevMen is offline RevMen  United States
diyAudio Member
 
RevMen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Great, thanks very much.

The drivers are MarkAudio/CSS/Planet 10 EL70s, with a reported Le of 0.256 mH.

For anyone finding this thread, here's the most to-the-point article on Zobel circuits I found: TA Speaker Topics - Neutralizing L(e) with a Zobel
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 06:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
The EL70 impedance sweep looks a little funny as the fs appears incorrect. Still, even if it is shifted a bit the impedance rise does not look so severe. Please post your findings with and without the Zobel. Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 06:46 AM   #7
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMen View Post
The drivers are MarkAudio/CSS/Planet 10 EL70s, with a reported Le of 0.256 mH.
With 56uF this would give a resonance at 1.3KHz... So Zobel needed I think.

In addition, there is an important piece to note. Shunting one driver at MF/HF does not provide anything like baffle step correction, due the drivers being in series all that happens is that we slowly "belnd over" to single driver operation at higher frequencies.

So any baffle step correction still needs a series LR circuit in series with the Speakers!

What the Cap across the second driver does is to create a system that has greater LF power handling/displacement/SPL than a single driver, but at high frequencies acts as pure single driver system, with non of the comb filtering etc associated with multi-driver systems.

Ciao T
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 07:15 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrakaz View Post
The EL70 impedance sweep looks a little funny as the fs appears incorrect.
The impedance curve is one i actually measured... LMS use a log vertical scale which was inconvienient. My kit will measure a higher Fs...

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 04:02 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
tuxedocivic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ladysmith, BC
I think he's refering to what we discussed here: EL70s have arrived!! starting at the bottom of the page. You corrected the data sheet, but Bob never did upload the correct sheet to the site.

This is the proper sheet: http://homepage.mac.com/planet10/CSS...ata-080909.pdf
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 11:08 PM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hi,

With 56uF this would give a resonance at 1.3KHz... So Zobel needed I think.

In addition, there is an important piece to note. Shunting one driver at MF/HF does not provide anything like baffle step correction, due the drivers being in series all that happens is that we slowly "belnd over" to single driver operation at higher frequencies.

So any baffle step correction still needs a series LR circuit in series with the Speakers!

What the Cap across the second driver does is to create a system that has greater LF power handling/displacement/SPL than a single driver, but at high frequencies acts as pure single driver system, with non of the comb filtering etc associated with multi-driver systems.

Ciao T
Can bsc be addressed by moving the second driver to the rear or side? And what would be the sonic advantage (if any) to having both drivers forward firing?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4 ohm drivers in series w/ crossover Einric Multi-Way 3 4th June 2011 07:31 PM
Wilson WITT Series I Drivers dritter_1999 Full Range 0 5th April 2006 06:20 PM
X/overs with 2 drivers in series Q?'s rolfy72 Multi-Way 4 8th October 2003 04:38 PM
Drivers in series - ok or bad? Circlotron Multi-Way 14 28th October 2002 04:15 AM
PSB Image Series Drivers wwolf Multi-Way 0 28th December 2001 08:27 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:57 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2