CHR-70 questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all, I am new here and like to say hi and love this site. On to my options that I hope some of you could help me with.

I have 4 of the 1st gen. CHR-70's and currently have them in a box design from planet10hifi, the splayed surround ov9. I am using these in my HT setup as surrounds. I am limited with placement of these as my room layout is a little strained.

I would like to make some sort of new enclosure for these and mount them above my suspended ceiling firing downward towards my listening positions making a full 7.1 setup.
Do any of you all have some recommendations for the type of enclosure or any things I should consider for doing this??

The enclosures don't have to be anything great as they wont be seen. Only the drivers and ports will be seen. I have tons of duct board for enclosures if that would work. I was thinking something lightweight yet strong enough for the drivers.

I have plenty of room above my ceiling also. Would this be a good setup or should I just build 4 small surround enclosures and place them in my room where I can??

Thanks

If you're not sure about locations, I'd be inclined to first build 4 small enclosures to experiment with placement that give the effect you're looking for. The CHR70 works well in a 5 liter sealed box, which if fabricated from lighter material such as 15mm plywood, would be no strain for any of the small adjustable wall mount brackets, or ceiling grid (they'd weigh far less than a quad tube fluorescent light fixture) .

Testing in a suspended ceiling should be as easy as laying on a couple of strips of plywood, etc across the grid - permanent mounting in ceiling would depend on decor considerations.

That said, I'm not a big fan of all channels of a surround sound system originating from above . IMO it presents an unnatural perspective in terms of acoustic and visual imaging which have evolved to focus the highest degree of tightly integrated resolution in a forward direction.

Last edited:
Thanks chrisb. I believe I will try 4 small enclosures out of some left overs lying around the shop. Do you recommend any specific type of 7.1 setup music to help in the placement of these?? I know what the typical 7.1 layout is, but i will be varying from that because of room layout.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.