Dayton RS100-8 Tower and Center Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My dad has been wanting to upgrade his system a bit from the Bose cubes he has (all powered by a nice Marantz AVR) so we decided today to build him a nice budget front setup using the Dayton RS100-8's for the front three. Since I built a set of bookshelf speakers for my office using the RS100-4's and I've been extremely happy with them we thought this would be a good place to start. We're leaving the "sub" for now which is the "sub" that comes with those acoustimass systems. We know it needs replaced but that'll have to be the next project.

For the mains we're going to do 7"W x 7"D x 35"H boxes utilizing 1/2" MDF. This is ported on the back with a 6"W x 1.5"H x 4.13"D slot port. The cabinet is 20L and tuned to 70hz. WinISD shows a rising response on the bottom end below 80hz but since these will strictly be used for HT and cut at 80-90hz we're not too concerned about it. -3db is at 58.45hz.

The Center is an 11"W x 6"H x 5.27"D box also using 1/2" MDF. This is going to be rear ported with a 1" x 3" port. The cabinet is 3.5L also tuned to 70hz. WinISD shows a very slight response hump center centered about 159hz and is .95db up there so overall very smooth. -3db is at 71.03hz so we should be great with an 80hz crossover on this as well.

We got all the cabinets cut and are using Rabbet joints for all the construction. We're also going to be bracing each of the cabinets, most likely with dowels cut to proper length and positioned front to back and side to side. We're also going to be lining the cabinets with padding then filling them with polyfill until we get the sound desired. We are also going to try our hand at building grills and neither of us have done them before so it should be a bit of an adventure :) I have regrilled a number of speakers though so I'm not too concerned about it.

I'll try to post pics tomorrow of our progress then more as we continue the build. Stay tuned!

Scott

Here's one of the towers getting ready to glue together, the puzzle pieces all laid out, then it glued and clamped.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 368
  • photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 359
Both towers are put together, all braces cut, holes cut for terminals and ports installed in all three speakers. We designed some nice grills that have a 45 degree bevel around the front edge that look really nice and got all three grills are cut out.

We're going to be at a bit of a standstill now until we get the cabinet lining and fill. Once we get that we'll be able to put it all together and start testing the amount of fill that is needed. After that we can do final assembly (right now the backs on all three speakers are not glued in) and paint :) Can't wait till we get to testing!! I'll post pics of the progress later today.

Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.