Windermere^2 - anyone built these? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2011, 05:05 AM   #1
tli is offline tli  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Windermere^2 - anyone built these?

Newb here - been lurking (aka reading) for a bit now.

I can't find evidence that anyone's actually built any Windermeres yet (am anxious to learn that Google or diy's Search don't always find everything). That design is one that's got my attention for the room I want to fill with my first pair of FRs so if anyone's got any firm data and impressions, I'd appreciate you sharing.

Thx!
Old 23rd November 2011, 03:31 PM   #2
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

IIRC diyAudio forum member leeoh built a pair. He used EL70s and was very happy with the results.

You can do a forum search and dig out that thread.
Old 23rd November 2011, 09:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Indeed he did. Admittedly, my initial scans for Windermere builds did find that post but its length and dense grammatical construction had me gloss over it without realizing it was, in fact, the one example of a successful build. My fault (and NOT intended to sound critical of the post itself, good to read once I actually did it).

To perhaps seed interest with a larger body of folks, here's what I'm thinking (and would appreciate a kick in the pants, if you get my meaning)....

Equipment "Wants":
  1. Tube Amp(s) - NO experience with these but tubes have been gnawing at me for years.
  2. FR DIY speakers - guess I'm in the right place.
  3. Build ONCE, never look back so I'd really like to get this right the first time. I hear you snickering, knock it off.
  4. Audio Source = iPad / iTunes / Pandora - this is a second home that I don't want to throw too much dedicated equipment ($) at.

Pic of the room to fill with the equipment listed above. Another pic, another pic. I don't have the dimensions but show these to give a sense for the overall size of the space (pics taken before we bought/painted/furnished). Given that it is very "open" (leads upstairs to a loft and opens behind where these pics were taken into the kitchen where I was standing), you can hopefully appreciate it's a fairly big and open space.

I'd like to put the tube(s) atop the shown mantle with FR's alongside the fireplace. Any "critical listening" would be done when facing the fireplace (seating ~8' back) but also need ample, quality sound throughout the larger space (loft not included where audio clarity and quality are concerned).

I already have two complete systems at home. As speakers are a bit more tangible to build than tube amps right now (given my inexperience with them), I want to first build speakers at home and then compare and fine tune against the Infinity Overture 3s and Klipsch RF-63s I have in two separate rooms here. If anything else, I think these comparos would be interesting to share with everyone (haven't come across that many amateur side-by-sides against speakers that are obviously very different than FRs). Once I'm happy, I can transport to our cabin (tube(s) to be figured out at a later date, I can use an "old" harman kardon AVR until I settle on what to do with tubes at a later date).

After reading DIY, planet-10, decware, frugal, jordan, others.......I seem to be zeroing in on the Windermere's (^2). So, if you've read this much (THANK YOU) and given your understanding of the room size I have and my desire to essentially do this once, I would ask you this: Is there any significant reason NOT to build the Windermere^2's?????

As an FYI, I'm pretty handy (my DIY theater, yes I had a little help) but also recognize that I'm a complete notice at speakers and that everything is hard the first time. Thank you all for your reads and opinions.....

And in case you all don't hear it very often, this is a TERRIFIC site. It's been a great place read/learn/get introduced to DIY Audio so THX!!!

--t
Old 24th November 2011, 01:08 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I see no reason they wouldn't work. You could use the castle arrangement to help fill the heights.

I'd be wary of electonics on the FP mantle if you intend on lighting the fire.

After building you could even use some of the prefabbed rock wall panels (quite a selection at our local Home Despot -- including silimar to your FP) to create a stealthy appearance

dave
Old 24th November 2011, 03:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Modified Windermere's?

Black Friday $$ buy for the drivers???

Also, thoughts on the addition of the angled vent stack shown here? I have some concerns with the open chimney from the original design (dust, etc. over time). Just curious if this is well received or a positively bad idea.
Attached Images
File Type: png Modified Windermere^2.png (141.7 KB, 336 views)
Old 24th November 2011, 05:53 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I see no problen with that mod, you need to ensure the pipe length remains the same, and it is likely better to fir it backwards,

dave
Old 4th December 2011, 02:40 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I see no problen with that mod, you need to ensure the pipe length remains the same, and it is likely better to fir it backwards,

dave
Thx for the feedback, Dave. Your input is sincerely appreciated. I am curious about your concerns for equipment on the wood mantle but nothing we need to discuss here.

We spent last weekend at our cabin. After some serious discussions about size/placement/design of these speakers with my wife in the room some DIY speakers will eventually go (linked above), we're opting out. They're essentially bigger than my wife wants and she's concerned about them dominating the room (hard to disagree). My interest in their somewhat unique design (facilitating a low Hz response in a single cab) loses out this time but that's OK.

Not to be dismayed, I've got questions about some other designs I'm interested in so will tee-up new posts accordingly. As I don't seem to be able to edit the title of the original post (to indicate this is effectively a 'dead thread'), I'll simply say 'thank you' again for the time a few of you spent with me while considering these as my first DIY.

Moving on!
Old 4th December 2011, 04:26 PM   #8
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

I like that mod tli! Hope you build it and give us your impressions.
Old 4th December 2011, 06:36 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I see no problen with that mod, you need to ensure the pipe length remains the same, and it is likely better to fit it backwards,
Talking to Scott he added some salient points:

1/length is potentially altered
2/ there will be a reduction in the effective driving of the room's vertical mode (which is one of the objectives of this style of cabinet)
3/ the 2nd pipe's harmonic modes will almost certainly become more of an issue since it is now being directed toward the listener rather than being off the vertical axis.
4/ Directing it to the rear would be preferable, but again, you'd still run into the lack of room coupling.

dave
Old 5th December 2011, 01:44 AM   #10
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

So if I read you right Dave the main problem is with the angled vent but the top driver configuration should be o.k.?

Hide this!Advertise here!