line array impedance issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to build a small speaker with 3 indentical 3" drivers, each 8 ohms. I'm having a hard time figuring out how the amp will see between 4 - 8 ohms.

I could parallel two of them for 4 ohm, but this will mismatch with respect to the third 8 ohm. Could I use a resistor leading to the two paralleled drivers to bring the pair up to 8 ohm and then parallel this 8 with the other single 8?

If not, is there any other way to get 3x 8ohms to be seen by the amp anywhere between 4 - 8ohms. Thank you!

I'd like to build a small speaker with 3 indentical 3" drivers, each 8 ohms. I'm having a hard time figuring out how the amp will see between 4 - 8 ohms.

I could parallel two of them for 4 ohm, but this will mismatch with respect to the third 8 ohm. Could I use a resistor leading to the two paralleled drivers to bring the pair up to 8 ohm and then parallel this 8 with the other single 8?

If not, is there any other way to get 3x 8ohms to be seen by the amp anywhere between 4 - 8ohms. Thank you!

actually why not use this as an opportunity to power taper -as per page 6 of
http://www.madisound.com/pdf/TheCHRArray-plan-250811.pdf

while these plans are specifically for the MA CHR70.3, the wiring logic would work equally for triples of any driver - and let's assume that there could be advantages to power tapering a triplet of small/full range drivers in a compact line array

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.