"nanoTower" - Tang Band W3-881SI - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2011, 11:11 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post

As it is impossible to simulate any TL loading with standard vented box designers, if you could get something sorted out so that you could measure the impedance of the loudspeakers, it would assist greatly in pinpointing what tuning frequency you've actually arrived at.
I think you tried to tell me how to do this before, and my head almost exploded...
Old 22nd November 2011, 12:02 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
I think you tried to tell me how to do this before, and my head almost exploded...
Nah I don't think that was me. I was the one who said grab a resistor and download a computer program and it does it all for you
Old 22nd November 2011, 12:46 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
Nah I don't think that was me. I was the one who said grab a resistor and download a computer program and it does it all for you
Indeed, this was the advice that boggled me. If it isn't obvious yet, I have no education in electronics whatsoever, so I need the "dummies" version (but I also like to understand WTF I am doing ).
Old 22nd November 2011, 12:51 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

LOL. My wife just looked over my shoulder and referred to this as my "habit". She meant hobby (english is not her first language) but perhaps she was correct

This is very addictive stuff. I am already thinking about my next 2 projects...

Oh, and I need to make a correction to a previous post. The port is actually 2.5 inches from the base plate, not 4 or 5.

Last edited by cogitech; 22nd November 2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 22nd November 2011, 01:18 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

So it is quite close to the bottom. If my limited understanding of MLTLs is correct, then placing it closer to the bottom of the cabinet would have more TL effect then if the port was located somewhere near the top. I could be wrong.

Saying that you have zero knowledge regarding this kinda stuff isn't really gonna cut it You're obviously not stupid and rigging together a simple measurement system with something like LIMP is extremely easy, it tells you how in the help file. If you have a windows machine with a sound card I am sure you could be making impedance measurements easily within a couple of hours of trying. Maybe you'd need to buy a resistor, but that ain't so hard, nor expensive. If you have questions about things you don't understand then do feel free to ask, it is after-all one of the main reasons why DIYaudio exists, to exchange and pass on knowledge to others.

I'd say that DIYaudio for me isn't a habit or a hobby, it's a way of life
Old 22nd November 2011, 03:58 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

What? Not going to spoon feed me any longer?!!

I'll do my homework and get back to you, but in the meantime I have made a video of these little towers and I'll post it a little later...
Old 22nd November 2011, 04:44 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

OK, here it is in action: "nanoTower" Tang Band W3-881SI Demo - YouTube

It obviously won't sound so great if you listen to it on computer speakers, and my video camera only has a tiny mono mic, but you should be able to get an idea of the bass extension if you listen on something half-decent, despite the fact that both the video and audio has been transcoded both by me and by YouTube

Last edited by cogitech; 22nd November 2011 at 05:07 AM.
Old 22nd November 2011, 05:12 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Pretty impressive I have to say! I think I may just pick up a set of these little guys
Old 22nd November 2011, 05:55 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter99 View Post
Pretty impressive I have to say! I think I may just pick up a set of these little guys
...and they are an order of magnitude better live, in person.
Old 22nd November 2011, 09:12 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

I think I may be closer to understanding why these little buggers are pleasing me so much. I've just used WinISD's tone generator and my SPL meter to explore the bass (extensively enough to thoroughly annoy my wife).

I used WinISD's "connect to graph pointer" option (or whatever it is called) so that I could control the tone by dragging my mouse on the current graph.

Concentrating on the response between 200hz and 20hz, what I found was that the SPL meter readings were strongest at around 170hz (83dB) and 46hz (81dB), with a gradual dip in between (down to about 76dB somewhere in the high 60s). So my actual response is stretched out (when compared with the WinISD graph of the theoretical enclosure). I hit my first high point sooner (140hz), the dip is deeper (5dB), and the second high point comes later (46hz).

So, it seems my resonant frequency is right around 46hz, and I have to say that the bass is very evident down into the mid 30s.

I am sorry, but this just stuns me. Based on my findings, I re-EQed to compensate more for the peaks and the lull and I am in awe. $10 each?

The catch is, of course, SPL. This performance is only coherent at moderate SPL (which is still far more SPL than what I have planned for them). I also have to say that when I was reading 81dB at 46hz, the excursion did not seem excessive. Lets just say I have pushed these cones quite a bit more than that in the short time that I have owned them.

Last edited by cogitech; 22nd November 2011 at 09:26 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!