"nanoTower" - Tang Band W3-881SI - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2013, 12:35 AM   #121
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzz View Post
But I would choose Tabaq, becouse of size and better sound.

Here you can find some graphs
TABAQ TL for Tang Band
Did u use the BSC circuit on + side?, (3,9 ohms and 1.0 mH in parallel). I am confused by 3,9 ohms, or is it 3.9ohms?, these parts available at Partsexpress?

thanks,

gychang
Old 4th January 2013, 07:42 AM   #122
danzz is offline danzz  Spain
diyAudio Member

Yes I used the BSC filter as recommended per the designer...

Resistor

coil
Old 4th January 2013, 02:01 PM   #123
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzz View Post
Yes I used the BSC filter as recommended per the designer...

Resistor

coil
thanks for all your help. gychang
Old 12th May 2013, 05:48 AM   #124
SarkkaS is offline SarkkaS  Finland
diyAudio Member

Hi all.

Where are you guys buying these speakers? I'm in Europe, Finland to be exact and I'm looking for a source to get my hands on a couple of these for my first speaker build.

-Sale
Old 12th May 2013, 01:02 PM   #125
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

The W3-881si's are sold out at Parts Express in the US. I think they are now available on ebay. If you like this driver you may also be interested in this quad driver bipole MLTL: Tangband W3-881 MLTL build
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 25th April 2014, 08:42 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

This is an old thread, but I'm very interested in the nanotower design. Do you think the Tang Band W3-1053SC would work well in this nanotower design? Any thoughts appreciated. Single-driver high-performance speaker systems are something I am completely new to.

All the Best,

Brian
Old 25th April 2014, 09:39 PM   #127
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

The W3-1053sc driver is quite nice but you may get better results if you use the AMLTL technique to size the port and volume for better performance.
Accidental MLTL Technique

My guess is that the volume of the current nano tower is too big for the lower Qts of the W3-1053sc vs the 883si and will force the tuning to be unusually deep circa 40 Hz. This will cause a very depressed bass output vs the rest of response. Change the tuning closer to 55 Hz and adjust the cross sectional area to get a volume closer to the ideal volume recommended by a bass reflex calculator.

Of course, this can be modeled very easily to find optimum cabinet and vent size.
Old 25th April 2014, 10:07 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
The W3-1053sc driver is quite nice but you may get better results if you use the AMLTL technique to size the port and volume for better performance.
Accidental MLTL Technique

My guess is that the volume of the current nano tower is too big for the lower Qts of the W3-1053sc vs the 883si and will force the tuning to be unusually deep circa 40 Hz. This will cause a very depressed bass output vs the rest of response. Change the tuning closer to 55 Hz and adjust the cross sectional area to get a volume closer to the ideal volume recommended by a bass reflex calculator.

Of course, this can be modeled very easily to find optimum cabinet and vent size.
Thank you for the good information. The 883si is a little more expensive now (about $26 each), so I was looking for a cheaper alternative. The originality of designs in this forum are simply astounding to me. I'm looking forward to starting my own project soon.

Best,

Brian
Old 26th May 2014, 06:21 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

The nanotowers are finished and working! They are currently in the unfinished side of my basement where most of my "messing around" work takes place. I used Tang Band W3-881SJ 3 inch neodymium drivers. I have a video of them being driven with a Dayton DT100a. The source is a laptop running JRiver to a small, external DAC. The ipad does not do justice to the quality of the sound. The transparency and imaging are quite outstanding. Thank you to everyone who helped me with good advice and thoughts. And, of course, a big thank you to cogitech for his help here and via PM.

I'm thinking of using them outside on a covered deck. Do you think the drivers are up to outside conditions (I have covers for the speakers)?

The video is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AHW4nBLE_M

Thanks and Best,

Brian
Old 26th May 2014, 06:29 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Nice job, Brian! I will watch the video at home with my main sound system for audio, since I am sure my laptop is not doing it justice.

I think the drivers will be fine outside, as long as they are not exposed to direct rain/snow.

Hide this!Advertise here!