Full-range speakers in a bi-amped system? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2011, 02:33 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hi there MJ: I'm in the process of setting up a FAST running the drivers OB (open back), using the W5-1611sa for the FR. The crossover is a Behinger line level Cx2310. (Parts Express part number 248-664, $79.00). My initial listening results are encouraging. Both of us here are impressed with the clearity of the sound, rather different than resonant box enclosures. You can experiment with OB easily, using a flat panel of your favorite plywood, adding wings as a follow on experiment. Wife, who plays violin really liked the winged version, however, I'm now experimenting with the W5-1611sa running bare, no baffle. I prefer to listen first, and measure later for tweeking c rossover. I have nodoubt about bianping or line level crossover and now a convert to OB.
As BHTX mentioned in post #4, the newer W5-1611sfi costs $47,now sale at PE ( part number 264-918 ). If you want a single project to produce a fine set of stereo speakers, follow someones specific plans, drivers, components, however if you like to experiment, DIY is lots of fun and you can produce several speakers over a period of time that you will like, and probably replace with something new and mor exotic as time goes on. ...regards, Michael
Old 23rd November 2011, 03:43 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

pics ? pics ? got some ?

I'd been looking at the fx120, the ff125wk, and the w5-1880.
Think the Lotus Group Granada, but with closed 15's and open mid/tweet, maybe open backed box.
A 2' wide baffle (3" thick) needs a bit of boost to get down to the 200hz crossover point though.
It (granada) crosses at 200hz 24db (my prefered spot).

The Granada Loudspeaker

Click the image to open in full size.

Norman
Old 23rd November 2011, 05:35 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Are those AE woofers?
Old 23rd November 2011, 06:31 AM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Yes. When being asked about woofers it was my suggestion that he check them out.

dave
Old 23rd November 2011, 08:46 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

lol, we make tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!!!

are the drivers still availiable ?

Norman

Last edited by norman bates; 23rd November 2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 23rd November 2011, 02:27 PM   #16
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majerjack View Post
The baffle step equalization would be built as shelving tone circuitry into
the feedback loop of an opamp (again, frequency to be determined).
Hi,

With first order c/o slopes you will automatically get BSC when you equalise
driver levels c/o in the BSC region. FWIW PLL EQ is as easy as a PLLXO.

rgds, sreten.
Old 23rd November 2011, 07:33 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Norman, would you spring for another TB driver? You did not seem happy with the 1808 and i'd expect the smaller one could have a similar signature. That Lotus Group speaker looks like a winner to me.
Old 23rd November 2011, 08:52 PM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHTX View Post
(1st order electrical, 2nd order acoustic on the full-ranger, and 1st or LR2 on the woofer)..
XOing 2nd order you do not take advantage of the potential time linearities made possible by the essentially coincident drivers and 1st order XOs. A series XO, as far as i can see, almost guarantees time coherence, especially when a series XO (w voltage amp) is used.

dave
Old 23rd November 2011, 09:36 PM   #19
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
XOing 2nd order you do not take advantage of the potential time linearities made
possible by the essentially coincident drivers and 1st order XOs. A series XO, as
far as i can see, almost guarantees time coherence, especially when a series
XO (w voltage amp) is used.

dave
hi, it might do with perfect drivers and no baffle step, but it generally doesn't, rgds, sreten.

What series does is guarantee voltage summation. Which may or may not
be wanted. If it is what is wanted it works better than 1st order parallel.
If it isn't because you want an offset c/o, it will never work well.

You can't simplify the acoustic domain to the simple electrical domain.

Last edited by sreten; 23rd November 2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 23rd November 2011, 11:33 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

hiya zilla. I like my 4" bamboo's (love them actually) but off axis is sketchy. Maybe I should put 2 of them in a wide open backed box so I can cross at baffle step (200hz) but that would be a 2' wide baffle with 6" wings (putting Feq near 200hz).

I found a comment in a link that scares me (about the w5 1880). At the same time, decware uses them (but I havn't seen many comments) in the dna horn. Steep profile cone usually means more pistonic but worse off axis.

"On-axis, these Tang Bands sound transparent. Voice sounds uncolored and balanced. Off-axis, however, the sound becomes fuzzy, hazy and colored. They beam too much: with the loudspeakers flat against the wall, flanked by the Billy bookshelves, there hardly is any sweet spot at all… " then the same guy dropped in the W4-1879. "they beam less than the W5 version, but they still beam somewhat. The imaging is better than with the W5."

Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

For my volume needs, a 4" ain't cuttin it at 24db@200hz sitting 12' away.
I'm up for the 2-way 200hz thing, but finding a driver (maybe fx120 or ff125wk) that will keep up with dual 15's. I'm thinking maybe the wild burro with a notch. The price is reasonable and I like to support little guys. I started a thread over at his forum but not too many people are looking. Maybe a 3khz peak isn't too audible. But 1.5khz-3.5khz, that drove me out of the room after about 20 minutes (1808). I don't mind a notch on a $55 driver, I do mind a notch on a $180-$329 driver ($250 now ?).

I'm in the middle of silver flute 2 way mcm round horns, upgrade teac cd player, maybe a push pull subwoofer/tv stand (no drivers yet), and wanting home theater .1 subwoofing, I can buy back one of my huge 18's push pull (but I don't have the space), ahhhgggg !!!!!!!!!!!! So many things to do that I don't want to buy another driver to sit waiting to be used. But many of us here understand that.

Norman

Hide this!Advertise here!