low level fullrange?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, strange title but bear with me :)
I really need you guys to help me here please...

I got myself a nice new LEDTV (looks good, sounds awful) but there is no room either side for speakers. The only place I can put them is in the cabinet below which has straw grill doors. The whole thing sits into an alcove.
Is it feasible to put a fullrange set into this cabinet and get reasonable sound? WAF dictates that I dont have anything above the TV :rolleyes:
I could make a couple of enclosures and slide them in behind the doors with wadding around them. I could also angle the front face to raise the axis of the drivers away from the floor

Size of the enclosures (max) would be 10" x 8" (front face) x 16" deep.
These would sit right up against the door grills
I could also put some tweeters around the back of the TV and fire them against the wall?

They could be sealed or maybe even folded horns ... now that would be cool:cool:
TV%252520cab.JPG

What do you think?... Silly idea? I have many class D amps that I can use for this, they are all around 20 watt ......

If feasible then could you recommend a driver for such a position & enclosure volume?

Any help you can give would be VERY much appreciated chaps.

Cheers
Lee

Last edited:
That's a tough one!

Your size requirements and low power amps would need all the help they can get. Throw in cost and it gets dicey.

Aurasound NS6 Speaker Kit - 4 ohm Woofer - Parts Only: Madisound Speaker Store

The above kit includes two 4 ohm (8 ohm also available) six inch woofers, two dome tweeters and two crossovers to build a speaker for $95 US. That would fit your budget but I have no idea about shipping. I do know they are quite efficient so would provide plenty of sound volume with your chip amps and at 0.45 cubic feet--they will fit in the space. Ported they go down to 65Hz so if you feel the need (or can hide one) a subwoofer can be added later.

FF85wk is a very good driver, but you hardly need the kind of volume you have available.

Given that blueplanet has CHP70 (1st gen) on sale, i'd consider them.

dave

These work quite well in fairly small vented boxes, certainly small enough to fit in the cabinet, although you might need to "make adjustments" to the doors' straw grilles. It wouldn't be too hard to juggle dimensions to allow for a 5 - 10 degree tilt of front panel.

FF85wk is a very good driver, but you hardly need the kind of volume you have available.

Given that blueplanet has CHP70 (1st gen) on sale, i'd consider them.

dave

These work quite well in fairly small vented boxes, certainly small enough to fit in the cabinet, although you might need to "make adjustments" to the doors' straw grilles. It wouldn't be too hard to juggle dimensions to allow for a 5 - 10 degree tilt of front panel.

OK.... I look away for a few hours... :)
This is what I love about this forum, excellent constructive feedback

Those CHP-70's look like a very efficient option.... nice pointer Dave, appreciate the time taken ;)

I'm not one for base.... never have been. I want realism and good vocals....
If I need base I can drop one behind the settee.

If you think the FF85 needs to operate at much higher cabinet volumes then the Markaudio fits the bill...... and much cheaper!

Thanks guys

........ on another tac though..... I do have a couple of flat panels I made up a couple of years ago that would also add 'air'.... I'm starting to salivate... :)

Last edited:
Another option to consider for 3-4" drivers could be enclosure(s) wall mounted under the TV, which would better anchor the audio image to the visual.

I recently built something like that for Alpair6 - final dimensions were 160mm "high" by 130mm deep. Full 3 channels of front row in the cabinet, with "extra" space used for storage (not really well sized for media, but great for all those remotes, and maybe a stash of chocolates.

Not yet installed, so excuse the workshop mess and lousy lighting - shown with wall mounted dual SDX7 woofers and surrounds

Attachments

• Teg system 005.jpg
    Teg system 005.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 309
  • Teg system 004.jpg
    Teg system 004.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
Assumming 15mm ply, braces and vents, net volume would be on the order of 13 litre, a very good size for the CHP.

dave

Hi Dave, I'm starting to like the sound of these and the price is certainly right :)
Are you thinking a simple 1" front port or slotting like you have on your designs?

Chris, I like that setup, I would love to do something like that but the wife has demanded the current cabinet remains and I hide all my speakers :rolleyes:

Oh.... And the chocolates wouldn't last long enough in our house to warrant any storage:D

Cheers guys

Yeah, they aren't bad at all for such small speakers, a 2 litre cab should be better though... I'll have a play
By the way Dave, seems your advice created quite a rush, those drivers are no longer on sale... glad I got in there quick enough.
Cheers Sir;)

Lee

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.