FAST /WAW subs under MA drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
(Sidebar: I've taken the Liberty of starting a new thread describing various subwoofer drivers and their cabinets as related to running under Mark Audio drivers. Where applicable, crossover details may be included. Some drivers are suitable, some not. I will share our experience working with various drivers to help start the thread. If this thread is inappropriate to Mark, I will understand its removal.)

Early tests with the Peerless 830668 10" driver are very promising. In free air, they are very clean without breakup or honk, detailed and have good extended range on both directions. They could work VERY well using a first order crossover. A couple of different sealed enclosures are being prepared for testing. First test will be in a 85 litre sealed box. Should have some preliminary results by the end of the week or so.

More later.

(Sidebar: I've taken the Liberty of starting a new thread describing various subwoofer drivers and their cabinets as related to running under Mark Audio drivers. Where applicable, crossover details may be included. Some drivers are suitable, some not. I will share our experience working with various drivers to help start the thread. If this thread is inappropriate to Mark, I will understand its removal.)

More later.

Hi Silver, Guys,
Thanks for your thoughts and for thinking about the wider issue of representing other makes of driver on the Markaudio section. Since I don't make subs (as yet), there's no direct conflict as such. Its good that those Diyers with a desire/need for more bass use FAST, or subs etc. I'd rather see this effort than see Full-Rangers be over-worked and end up in the bin.

Some food for thought for you:

I'm the only driver maker actively supporting this forum financially (I pay a annual fees to Diyaudio) and offering practical support. But we don't see makers like Peerless (and similar) doing the same, dipping their hands in their pockets to financially support Diyuadio.com, yet it does much to illustrate their products. I'm a very small maker (maybe the smallest) with very limited resources, while makers with resources do nothing.

We should give some thought and praise for Jason, Diyaudio.com's owner, he does a great job. He's trying to build up Diyaudio so that it becomes viable financially. Diyaudio.com needs funds and more business to survive and grow. I recently sent him the information on a "advertorial" thread for a Full-Range maker that doesn't support and participate in Diyaudio.

Along with the other makers and vendors currently on Diyaudio, I'm happy to do my bit and support this forum.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited:
I will be following this thread!

I would like to have this type of setup for my home theater. Planet 10's FAST's using the SDX7 is very interesting to me, but as David mentioned they are in limited supply. I'd love to hear about people's experience with a range of sub drivers, cheap and expensive!

KM

This has always intrigued me: http://www.solen.ca/pdf/sb/sb29nrx756.pdf

And if you're flush, possibly this: http://www.solen.ca/pdf/sb/sb34nrx756.pdf

Chris, I'm using the silver flute w20s right now. Not sure I'd use them in a FAST. Unfortuneately they just don't dig very deep. Possibly if on a budget and needing the sensitivity to baffle step compensate. They're borderline in my books.

There are two SDX7s right here: Solen Electronique Inc.=

And CSS is a supporter of the site ;) (I think)

Ryan - which enclosures for the W20s?

In the $150 to $180 each range, there's probably lots of other candidates as well, Audax, SEAS Prestige, Scanspeak, Morel, Eton, et al. I guess it's just frugal-phile DNA that prompts something like the Silver Flute to the top of my list in anticipation of fiscal restraints, which of course doesn't affect everyone

This has always intrigued me: http://www.solen.ca/pdf/sb/sb29nrx756.pdf

And if you're flush, possibly this: http://www.solen.ca/pdf/sb/sb34nrx756.pdf

I've had a look at those also. A sealed box models are very nicely compact into a small size. The response graph doesn't seem to indicate any honk, either. Probably would work well.

That said, in a bit larger sealed box the Peerless seems to work out to the same F3 / F10 at less than half the price. There was something else that threw cold water on the SBA drivers for me but I can't seem to recall what it was.

Chris, 25 L sealed for a pair in parallel.

I'm just as frugal, believe me. Im not about to plunk $200 on a pair of SBs ;) I just think the woofer in a FAST ought to stretch down to 30 or 40hz. The silver flute has proved to me to be a good 80 to 1000hz driver that is cheap and sensitive. It's how I use it, but I can't think of another use. Ported it'll get down a ways. I know you guys have some, I hope you can make better use of them in a fast than I could :)

The sdx7 isn't cheap ya know :confused:

I think peerless woofer are great value in general.

Why eq? I havent applied any eq yet. I think my box sim predicted an f3 of 95 or so. Listening to them I'd say the make bass just fine, but nothing more. Not like an 8" woofer designed to really make bass. In general they sound decent. I'm not done with the xo yet, do we'll see. They are neutral, and can take a beating in a home theater setting the way I have tried them. I played some music with a very rhythmic tuba section on the weekend that impressed me, but again, when the tuba got low it started to loose it's umph. In the HT setting, on goes the dedicated sub with an 80hz xo and bam, then they really eat up anything dynamic. They don't flinch for nothing. Very easy breathing.

An I missing something here?

Why eq? I havent applied any eq yet.

Just wondering how you far you were pushing them to make bass.

I think my box sim predicted an f3 of 95 or so.

Pretty close to what I get. Nice gentle roll off starting around 300Hz.

Not like an 8" woofer designed to really make bass. In general they sound decent.

Looks like they'd make a nice 2-way in a ported box, but you'd still need a sub if you like really low bass.

An I missing something here?

Don't think so. That's usually my line.:)

jeff

just how low does one really need to go?

minds out of the gutter lads, I'm talking about for music, in a real room

There are as many octaves below 120hz as there are above 120hz. :D

For music recorded in a REAL recording venue, especially classical music recorded in a large symphony hall, there is SIGNIFICANT information below60hz, and a lot below 40hz, some below 25hz (lots of variables). From a personal perspective, I like systems that are capable down to (F10 or better) 20hz or lower. But that's just me. :)

I'd agree with silver here. Remember that organ music Bob brought to van isle DIY Fest. Well, the silver flutes would have just gone brrrrraatch trying to hit those bottom notes. It's meant to do a specific task, and it does it well. I could find anything under $100 each for my application other than the silver flutes. Ymmv, as some people don't mind bass lacking speakers. But then why go fast I have to ask.

TB W6-1139SIF

I subscribed to this thread as I'm currently looking for some drivers to add some bottom to my Alpair 7.3s.

One of my objectives is to build a small sized FAST system. I've been looking at various drivers, but is currently set on the TB W6-1139SIF. I've never used these drivers, but I hear good things about them. In a small vented cab with a bit of EQ these little subs should reach an f3 of 30Hz (relatively big and long vent required but doable). From other threads I hear that they play well up to around 600Hz.

The idea is to put the Alpairs in a small sealed cab and cross at something like 250-300Hz using miniDSP.

Comments appreciated.

I'd agree with silver here. Remember that organ music Bob brought to van isle DIY Fest. Well, the silver flutes would have just gone brrrrraatch trying to hit those bottom notes.

as might even the SDX7s - that I've heard, and not even on the Toccata and Fugue, or Sister Drum

It's meant to do a specific task, and it does it well. I could find anything under $100 each for my application other than the silver flutes. Ymmv, as some people don't mind bass lacking speakers. But then why go fast I have to ask.
Fair enough - while I've heard some very capable truly deep woofers in larger venues at audio shows, it's been my personal experience with visiting systems using several approaches at either Dave's or my own place, that once you start diving for "solid" bass below mid 40s, it gets very hard to retain the same degree of musicality as the portion above 200Hz or so.

Since you ask "why" - for me FAST is about reducing distortion and improving midrange dynamics and resolution/inner detail , and while not highest on my priority list, increasing attainable SP levels.

Most of our audio systems have some degree of compromise, so live and let live etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.