an 12' cast frame in Metrnome or 5.6mk2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, since you have a plan for 5,6 box - why not build that first and find out yourself how is performing. Some members around here don't have high opinion about CSA box designs ( no wonder since they use same boxes for multiple range of speakers ) - but contrary, people that actually build them are satisfied...
I would like to try myself one day AN drivers to see where they fall > better or worse than average Fostex drivers in similar design...
If anybody in the Netherlands have a AN speakers I would like to attend a demo to hear for myself what is all about...

Max

With the Super12CF I would like the Frugel Horn, it be interesting listen this combo.

Are you talking CSA Super12"? I quite like the Frugel, but it's gonna be hard to fit any 12" driver into an enclosure with only 140mm internal width and less than 80mm mounting depth. There must be several much more appropriate designs for this driver for folks not enamored of those by CSA. My only experience with AN driver or CSA enclosure design was several years ago, and not memorably good or bad, so I really have no strong opinion on the matter.

Are you talking CSA Super12"? I quite like the Frugel, but it's gonna be hard to fit any 12" driver into an enclosure with only 140mm internal width and less than 80mm mounting depth. There must be several much more appropriate designs for this driver for folks not enamored of those by CSA. My only experience with AN driver or CSA enclosure design was several years ago, and not memorably good or bad, so I really have no strong opinion on the matter.
Iam supposing the frugel can be expanded in wide to fit the AN Super12CF, I like rear or lateral firing enclosures as Frugel or Klipsch, this last perform quite well in a room.

I enjoy my AN CF 12's but they are in a 2.8 BVR . I think I'll build a larger box for them but the 5.6 is just too big for our living room. I'll probably compromise on something sized in between.
I might build a new baffle to attach to my 2.8's and install the 8 CF AN

@tubemax

I have build a pair with the AN12supers. But since I moved to france I sold them to my brother.

Its on the dutch zelfbouwaudio.nl

I used 160 liters kind of a MLTL enclosure.
The driver needs bafflestep correction.

They go seriously loud and deep 95DB 30-40HZ in large enclosures.

Fullrange sound without the need of a SUB. and all that on 1 or 2 watts. thats what these big guys give you.

There is some shout at around 2000-3000KhZ. that might need notching. But I havent seen any fostex or lowther with better graphs. The ALNICO versions do not appear to have this resonance there.

To PVZ:
To less midrange you could stuffing the rear magnet, with 50mm black foam or 20 - 30 mm of pressed wool, I had sucess in a pro-audio fullrange, with huge treble response.

Stay away from a notch filter etc, because you will lost the beautiful harmonics integrity from the music, which is feature only a crossoverless fullrange can delivery.
Cheers

P.S.:> Also to less treble response you must paint inside the box with black paint, it is not difficult with a spray can.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.