Tang Band W3-1364 MICRO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These are the smallest speakers I've ever built.
Sealed (1.5L). Dwarfed by the Hafler M5.

Attachments

• W3_1364.jpg
    W3_1364.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,002
  • W3_1364_2.jpg
    W3_1364_2.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 979
Thanks. Haven't taken any measurements yet but from initial listening, they sound like a typical 1w 1m Flat Response. In fact, sounds very much like my Hafler M5, except the Hafler has more bass.

Personally, they do sound better with some bass and treble boost. They will have heads turning, wondering where the subwoofer is hidden. Can't play too loud though due to limited Xmax.

I believe they will really shine with the addition of a subwoofer and a tweeter. First order on the tweeter should do it. This will add some sparkle in the highs. As it is, the highs are too soft at 10-12 feet listening distance (using them for background music).

The good part is their response is smooth. No funny peaks in the mids and highs. They are quite suitable for Near Field Monitoring, especially with computers (2-3ft listening distance).

It's funny, but women absolutely love them. Strange :confused:

Nice build!

I had 8 Tang Band 3" FRs "just laying around" so built triangle shaped surround speakers with them with each pair firing 90 degrees frame each other on the triangle. They sound great and I don't plan on replacing them for many years--they just sound that good.

The Tangs changed my perception of full ranges for the better--can't beat them!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Internal Dimensions for the box are:

W=3.5"
H=6.0"
D=4.5"

Ahh...that's my 1.5kVA with multi-tapped secondaries. Saves me the trouble of changing transformers when I'm testing my amplifier kits at full power.

Thanks for the info Michael ,much appreciated. Man,they are much smaller than I thought. Exactly what I need really.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Wow, that's a great bargain. I haven't tried this driver yet but according to their T/S, it looks OK when simulated. Sealed box is very forgiving. Just make sure it's well stuffed. I inserted 2 handfuls of polyfill fiber.

I could only find the limited t/s parameters (for the W3-881SI) over at parts-express. Did you find the full specs anywhere, by chance? I've been googling all day...

Couldn't find any too. But you don't need the full TS for box simulation. Just the basic four and you can tune the box.

The sim (below left) is with TS at PE. With a 1.5L sealed box, you get a +2dB peak at about 200Hz. System Q at 1.185 Not really an issue. In fact, I prefer this. A bit more kick in the mid-bass.

The right plot is of my W3-1364. The TS are the actual values measured with my LMS.

Attachments

• TANG BAND W3-881SI.jpg
    TANG BAND W3-881SI.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 425
  • TANG BAND W3-1364SA.jpg
    TANG BAND W3-1364SA.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 414
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Couldn't find any too. But you don't need the full TS for box simulation. Just the basic four and you can tune the box.

The sim (below left) is with TS at PE. With a 1.5L sealed box, you get a +2dB peak at about 200Hz. System Q at 1.185 Not really an issue. In fact, I prefer this. A bit more kick in the mid-bass.

The right plot is of my W3-1364. The TS are the actual values measured with my LMS.

Thanks. Yes I went ahead and plugged all the t/s parameters that were available into WinISD and I've been playing with a few box variations. I just thought it would be "more accurate" to have all the parameters. It is good to know that box tuning can be done with only the basic 4. Still lots to learn...

One other question; where can I find an explanation of "System Q"?

Thanks again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.