Fullranger wins Stereophile Product of the Year - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2011, 03:12 PM   #11
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm bummed that I missed them at RMAF. I try to hit many of the fullranger manufacturers, but I didn't recognize them or stumble into their room. Hopefully they'll be there next year.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers
Old 11th November 2011, 09:51 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

np, here is the review at stereophile.

Voxativ Ampeggio loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

the cabinet is real nice. The 1/6 measurements are interesting, especially in AD's listening room.

Norman
Old 11th November 2011, 10:28 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

$29k75 puts it in the range Stereophile feels comfortable commending.

Like so many of the things they like, the cost of manufacture can no way approach the retail price. The research must have been cheap too since the blurb says the development was largely done by one woman unsupported by instrumentation.

Quote: 'At first sight, the Voxativ Ampeggio's measured performance doesn't look impressive.'

So why the **** does it cost so much?
Old 11th November 2011, 10:34 PM   #14
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Actually, going by full range standards, its performance through the upper frequencies is extremely good. Don't know how they achieved that. And the stereophile review comments on this, that it 'sounds' flat. They still shouldn't cost this much.
Old 11th November 2011, 11:51 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Interesting. I heard them at RMAF and didn't really love them, even though this is exactly the kind of speaker I'm interested in.

The treble sounded -exactly- just like AER's to me (from which they split off). To my (jaded) ears, the bass was definitely there but it had that "not totally clear" sound that I have come to expect from a long-path design with a tiny mouth (that is to say, not really a horn, because a proper horn with a big mouth just "breathes" at you).

But that was only one listen, in one particular room, one particular system.

Minor quibble -- I find the company's explanation for the stepped mouth to be not totally honest. If midrange is coming through the mouth, it doesn't matter at what slight angle it gets "pointed" (sound is round).

Quibble with Stereophile review: "The [neo magnet's] smaller size [compared to alnico] also makes the Voxativ AC-3X suitable for a horn design that seeks to minimize the volume of air in the throat area, ie, the space immediately behind the driver in a rear-wave horn, where pressure is a significant design factor."

Um, no. What does the chamber volume have to do with the throat size? One is 3-dimensional, the other is 2-dimensional. They seem to be saying "If you use alnico, your horn will lack pressure at the throat." Right!
Old 12th November 2011, 12:12 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
No doubt the goatskins are harvested EXCLUSIVELY by virgin goat-herders from the Northeast provinces of Nepal!
When one full-ranger popped up awhile ago with some "exotic" Rice-paper cones.....I knew fullrangers were getting ridiculous. All these 'exotics' are really stretching sanity.

__________________________________________________ ___Rick..........
Old 12th November 2011, 06:15 AM   #17
coldcut is offline coldcut  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So why the **** does it cost so much?So why the **** does it cost so much?
Well, price and performance never had a obvious connection in hifi - Bob Carver proved that many years ago with his "infamous" amplifier audition.
Old 12th November 2011, 06:30 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I would imagine that the lotus group "granada" would sound better.
Can't find many bad comments except the price.

The Granada Loudspeaker

should be easy enough to clone (well copy of a copy anyway) with dayton IB woofs.
Crossover (active plus passive) will be tricky.
3" thick baffle.
Not sure the 5" will go flat on a 22" wide baffle without a bit of eq.

Gotta check with wife on this one.

Norman
Old 12th November 2011, 11:18 AM   #19
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

I wonder what she charges for the raw drivers offered? Maybe in the high Lowther, AER range, or totally off the charts?

Cool to see a member of the opposite sex who's so knowledgeable, and has taken on a direction like this.. Just think, with her you probably wouldn't have to deal with that WAF factor either!

Men, you all should get your wives/girlfriends to read that article!
Old 12th November 2011, 12:14 PM   #20
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Love the goat skin. Looks good. Wish I could afford them.

Just imagine how good they would sound Enabl'ed Looks like they have mini mamboni treatment inside the whizzer...

Hide this!Advertise here!