Need horn plans for Fe103

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I guess I may be an idiot, but I can't find much info on horn speakers with Fostex Fe103En drivers.
I have ordered a pair of them and I'd like to assemble my first horn speakers.
I have experience in woodworking and I also know people that are better than me in this, so do not worry about realisation.
I am aware that Fe103 lacks bass a bit, but I'm still positive on building..

As far as I know, this plan is designed to work with Fe103. What do you think about it? The designer claims so, even if it's made to work with visaton FR10 as well, beacuse of cost and availability issues.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...st-bl-mini-horn-visaton-fr10-lcblhornfr10.pdf

The speakers will be next to a wall and I have possibilities to move them to corners, without corners or next to furniture. The room isn't very small though, they will be for the living hall, which is 21m2

Last edited:
I guess I may be an idiot, but I can't find much info on horn speakers with Fostex Fe103En drivers.
I have ordered a pair of them and I'd like to assemble my first horn speakers.
I have experience in woodworking and I also know people that are better than me in this, so do not worry about realisation.
I am aware that Fe103 lacks bass a bit, but I'm still positive on building..

As far as I know, this plan is designed to work with Fe103. What do you think about it? The designer claims so, even if it's made to work with visaton FR10 as well, beacuse of cost and availability issues.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...st-bl-mini-horn-visaton-fr10-lcblhornfr10.pdf

The speakers will be next to a wall and I have possibilities to move them to corners, without corners or next to furniture. The room isn't very small though, they will be for the living hall, which is 21m2

FWIW, I've heard several of this series of smaller Fostex drivers in a variety of BLH, and provided your placement allows use of corners for continuation of final flare of the horn mouth, which substantially extends bass respsonse, the Buschhorn Mk I ( not MkII) is a great enclosure for this driver. While originally drawn for smaller driver, it can easily be modified for the FE103 or even FE126.

Copy of revised ("as built) drawing for this design can be found on the last page of this plan-set

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/download/Frugel-Horn-v1-maps-040510.pdf

I've suggested to Dave that he place a separate link to this single drawing at this library:

p10 hifi | Box Library / Fostex

For that matter, the FE103E could work in the newer FH3, although damping levels might need jiggering about.

Now keep in mind that whatever clever tricks you do, it is still a small speaker. The bass can be surprising with a good for design, but it won't be as full as a proper woofer can produce.
Hence, perhaps it's better to simply use a small box for the FE103, for example the small one at the bottom of the official enclosure pdf, and then add a well adjusted subwoofer to it.

Not sure of the en version but this is my favorite enclosure for the fe103e.

Fostex BK10 kit photos

Fostex BK10 kit photos

Double up the exterior panels, use material to make the sound path turns all continuously curved so it is one continuous fold from throat to mouth (I used formica) and add an additional 50cm in height to the enclosure, those 50 cms being used at the mouth to make it larger.

Last edited:
Horn

Hello,
if you take the 103 and the Fr10 8 Ohm
you can realize a small Kornett with 10 cm inner width,
corner standing and Bass down 35 Hz.

Attachments

• kornettfront1kl.da.jpg
    kornettfront1kl.da.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 382
  • kornetthin1web.jpg
    kornetthin1web.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 376
Hello,
if you take the 103 and the Fr10 8 Ohm
you can realize a small Kornett with 10 cm inner width,
corner standing and Bass down 35 Hz.

I noticed your design already on your page, it's interesting and a bit bizarre (not meant as a criticism) as I've never seen something like it, the closest are certain dual driver lowther designs but even they are more classical than your design. I do wonder if not too much high frequencies come out of the 2nd horn mouth?

Did anyone here on the forum made the Kornett?

@hm, about the double horn you mean with the Fe103En and the Fr10, they have a difference in the sensitivities of 3db. The Fe103en is rated 89db/m2 and the Fr10 86db/m2. How do I fix this up?

And about the cheap trick 164, it's ment to use Fe103 sigma. Is it compatible with the Fe103En? Will just playing with the stuffing make the speaker sound right?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.