Fostex's FE203/6/7/8's in small BR box - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2011, 03:49 PM   #1
juanito is offline juanito  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex's FE203/6/7/8's in small BR box

Hi, has any body experienced this combination? or can any body translate (the important) from german... I used the google translator and is not that good...
Fostex FE 203 En-S, Lautsprecher - HIFI-FORUM (Seite 2)
I like the idea of big 8" fullranges in a bass reflex box.
Cheers
Old 28th October 2011, 04:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Never saw an FE203 or FE204. The FE207E works in ~35L BR, as will the FE206E with some fiddling -- Not recommended. The FE208EΣ probably won't work in a BR, at least not a small one.

Bob
Old 28th October 2011, 05:00 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

of course any of the drivers on your list would "work" in a BR in the sense that they'd make sound, but as Bob suggested, none except for probably the FE207E (or new FF225WK) would likely to be very satisfying

any reason why a Bass Reflex as opposed to a higher performance MLTL, etc?
Old 28th October 2011, 05:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

...well, may be something more than make sound.
I did long time ago a pair of 207 in BR. They where my first DIY loudspeakers. I liked them very much, specially because they where very strait forward to build in a BR box. Then I wanted a 2 way, so I sold the 207's and did a 2 way bass reflex with scan Speaks. I still keep them. I must say that for general purpose use are great. You can play anything, where as the fostex's where good, but not for all music. At least this is how I feel it.
Also i did and gave as presents for the family: 1- the famous Buster Reference recesion kit from madisound. 2- Seas Embla Kit 3- Mission cheap trick from lautsprechershop and 4- A pair of FX120 in the fostex cabinet.
The FX120 is nice, but it's more like 2 way rather than the fullranges (my impression)
I miss from the FX120 some kind of "imperfection/ noise" or "magic" that you can only get from a fullrange, and I don't know how to explain it. Specially with voices, quartet's, pianos... not in Rock or pop music.
And as far as I remember, the FE207E had that sound. So that is why I would like to go back and do a pair of full ranges in a BR box. Also because it's easier for me to do the BR, and can fit better in my room.
I did the buster refernce kit a mentioned before in both cabinets that Jed recomended. A big floor stand BR or a small sealed cabinet. The sealed I like much much more.
I was considering also the Lowther PM6C with the BR cabinet recomended by the owner, but... fostex looks pretty much worth aswell, and having had the experience with the fostex, I think i will stay with them.

Cheers for the help.
Old 28th October 2011, 06:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Single Driver Website

I did this years ago and thought it sounded great. But the driver is the 168s and has specs more suited for BR than the 206e.
Old 1st November 2011, 01:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

...any body who can translate or understand GERMAN and give me a brief resume about this design with the FE203en-s??
Many thanks in advance.
Old 1st November 2011, 11:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Stuck it into Google Translate, my german is still at the level of reserving a hotel room

Anyhoo, he has a special version of the Fostex 203En with high sensitivity, he sticks it in a bass reflex box, procrastinates before doing measurements, changes his tube amp to triode instead of pentode and this fixes his midrange, it was too pushy before. He'll put it into some horn design I don't know, apparently the Jericho horn ain't no good for this. Then they wander off talking about DSP

Why don't you look at the Spanish translation and we can compare notes?

S
Old 2nd November 2011, 04:24 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There is one fellow on the forum who has put his FE203eSR into Sachiko and is happy.

dave
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:45 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I did the spanish translation but the result was a bit mediocre... I'm trying to contact him but know he has changed the web site. May be he's updating the Fostex 203 part.

I'll see tomorrow what is the sachiko. Is it a small cabinet?
Cheers,
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:56 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

No but it sure is pretty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DS-Sachiko.jpg (17.9 KB, 372 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!