Wide version of Classic GR dMar-Ken7.3 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2011, 12:53 PM   #21
soren5 is offline soren5  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Thanks! And sorry to be such a pest with all these questions But how come the port length is different on the wide and the slim version of the CHR-70.3 cabinet? The box is also slightly bigger than the CGR Alpair 7.3. You wouldn't know what port length I should aim for if I use the CGR Alpair 7.3 cabinet but with CHR-70.3 drivers?
Old 27th November 2011, 08:40 PM   #22
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

All the cabinets should be the same size, they are literally a cut & paste and then adjust the vents. I did do a thourough rework of the detail for the A7.3 and there have likely been revisions to rationalize for metric (ie getting dimensions to land on whole mm). There is also a good chance that mistakes have crept in.

dave
Old 28th November 2011, 09:51 AM   #23
soren5 is offline soren5  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Your CGR cabinet for the CHR-70 is 15mm wider than for the 7.3, so something happened when copy/pasting.

As I already have all the panels made for the 7.3 cabinet I'll go for these measurements and then use WinISD to calculate the port length depending on the driver.

Since I have three cabs I think I'll try the Alpair 7.3, the CHR-70.3, and the EL70. Although they sound differently, I've seen some good feedback on all of these drivers. It'll be interesting to compare them.
Old 28th November 2011, 09:59 AM   #24
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I'm not on the right machine to check. When modeling the curves keep the shape of the roll-off the same. The modelers don't take into account the highish aspect ratio, actual response will be less bumped up.

I've never done an EL70 box this size, but it should work fine.

dave
Old 28th November 2011, 10:13 AM   #25
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

OK, i did have a file new enuff to check this. CGR for CHR is based on 9 litre, for 7.3 it is 8 litre, so they aren't the same. Not a big difference, and either will work in either size.

(don't ask why i changed it, cause i'm not sure)

dave
Old 28th December 2011, 04:56 PM   #26
ackkor is offline ackkor  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post

I've never done an EL70 box this size, but it should work fine.

dave
I am interested in making a Classic Golden Ratio enclosure using the EL70.

Would any changes need to be made to the port length or box design for the use of the EL70 Driver?

BTW, I enjoy all your designs, they have inspired me to get into DIY Hi-Fi Audio.
Old 28th December 2011, 05:29 PM   #27
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There is a 13 litre CGR for the EL70,seems i haven't posted it yet. email me.

A 9 litre one will fall out of the redrawing/rationalization of all the 9 litre CGRs.

If you can accomodate them the larger box recommended.

dave
Old 24th April 2013, 07:06 PM   #28
corcloe is offline corcloe  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

My son of 11 did build a tube amplifier kit (with some help reading the schema) and needed also speakers. He build the wide Soren version and we think both they sound great. Thanks for the plans. In the picture is one almost finished in front of my kirishima.
They are now finished and painted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (791.6 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by corcloe; 24th April 2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 24th April 2013, 10:57 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
CHR70s, A7, new CHP, CHBW, & the FF125wk all fit into the same CGR with only changes in the venting. You can see what i did by referring to the designs posted in the Mark Audio box library at p10-hifi. If they aren't there poke me and i'll remedy that.

dave

Sorry Dave not to get off track but, what you wrote reminded me of this story. (LOL) Poke me and I will Remedy that. It reminds me of a dog who goe's up and pokes the other dogs neck (like a wood pecker or a seal) to get them to play with her. Animals are so funny at times and other times what a trip. ( If only humans had a heart like a dog the world would be a better place). Jm

Hide this!Advertise here!