Lotus^2 build and listening impressions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2011, 01:08 AM   #1
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Default Lotus^2 build and listening impressions

Finally completed the build last weekend. Had this project in my mind for quite some time, and IIRC had most of the pieces cut back in August.

Thanks to Italynstylion - his Lotus^2 build documented through posts on this thread was very helpful and informative.

Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread

Besides, Steven was always very helpful via PM on any questions I had . I would also like to pint out the Coniston^2 build thread from Motosapien:

Coniston^2 Build

Another well documented build which gave me clear indication on how to go about lining the cabinet. Other members who would like to build either Lotus or Coniston, would do well to go through the above mentioned threads.

Why did I plan to build the Lotus^2:

1. Good reviews from forum members who had built them (they had CHR-70 gen1 drivers IIRC)
2. They had mentioned that bass was really good!
3. Elegant design
4. Since I find the CHR-70 a bit bright (I have gen 2), the side firing design gave me hope of balancing the sound

I am happy to tell you that the final result exceeded my expectations .

I am getting best results by placing them ~8-9 feet apart (even foot or 2 wider would work fine I guess), with the side drivers firing inward towards each other. Placing them closer like 6 feet apart also works, but imaging and balance are much better placed further apart. Most of the times I have been listening from 12-13 feet distance from the speakers, and at times 6-7 feet.

The sound that these speakers put out is good - nice clear top with plenty and I mean plenty of bass... On tracks that have bass, you'll look for the sub-woofer in the room . The bass is not as tight or dry as some MLTL/horn/pipe designs - it's warmer and has more bounce. And even at lower volumes there is healthy bass presence. The speakers put out a big sound stage and tall listening profile (these speakers are ~50" tall with double horn mouths). Sitting or standing the sound is nearly the same. They also have an open and live feel to them on a lot of music.

Another great thing is the wide sweet spot. Lot of FR designs have a very tight sweet spot and sound thins considerably if you are out of that - not with the Lotus^2. I can walk around the room (~250 sq feet) and enjoy the sound. The imaging is not point source type as some other speakers, but it's still good to listen to and instruments get nice separation.

I am using P10 enabled CHR70.2 in these cabs. I tried my Omnes BB4.AL (Black CHR-70 for Germany), but Dave's matched quad sounded smoother to me with more pleasant top. In my experience the CHR-70 gen 2 drivers work nicely with Class D amplification, and I am getting best results with my Dayton Tripath amp.

Music wise I've thrown plenty at them - and the speakers take on all genres well. Again, more advanced drivers capable of more refined sound like the Alp 7 will best the CHR-70 in many areas. But nonetheless, most music sounded good. Acoustic and jazzy stuff played with plenty of detail. Whereas when I tried Progressive House (Anjunadeep Vol 2 and 3) the Lotus^2 delivered in spades. Woofer like bass all the way, with nice articulation (not one note type). I can play around 75-77 dB with 80+ dB peaks and it sounds very loud in the room. Some bass heavy tracks do result in healthy cone movement, but it looked under X-max to me. Hard rock is also good - tried Satriani's Black Swans and Wormhole Wizards and songs had good energy to them with a "live" feel; I noticed 86 dB peaks on some of the tracks. Feeling encouraged I finally tried some real heavy stuff - Carcass's "Tomorrow Belongs to Nobody", and again the speakers acquitted themselves nicely, with solid sounding riffs, bassline, and drums. Tried them out with the TV also - they work very well as front left and right.

Clever design by Scottmoose that brings out the strengths of the driver. I am very happy with the build. Now Coniston^2 beckons!

-Zia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lotus^2 3d.jpg (57.5 KB, 560 views)
File Type: jpg Lotus^2 pic1.jpg (111.6 KB, 545 views)

Last edited by zman01; 28th October 2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 28th October 2011, 01:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Used recycled denim felt for inside lining. Here's a shot with lining partially done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lotus^2 lining partial.jpg (64.9 KB, 541 views)
Old 28th October 2011, 01:32 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Had joined the back before cutting the hole for the terminal cup... Thought I'd resort to something different to get the terminal posts in place.

Cut a 8 mm x 50 mm slit with the router; then used this home-made terminal "cover" (well it''s not a cup) made from 6mm hardwood ply. Worked out nicely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lotus^2 terminal mounts.jpg (84.5 KB, 531 views)
File Type: jpg Lotus^2 terminal mounts fixed.jpg (60.6 KB, 523 views)
Old 28th October 2011, 02:01 AM   #4
rvsixer is offline rvsixer  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice work and report/review !!!
Old 28th October 2011, 03:23 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Reviews like that make me want them! But my Deathstars are it for the moment.
Old 28th October 2011, 11:11 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Good going there Zia. I'm enjoying my Conistons very much after about a year now. They have scale, like a live performance and the seamless organic way they create bass is very pleasing. Your Lotus design must be much the same.
Old 28th October 2011, 11:44 AM   #7
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

I see the Lotus and the Lotus^2 are the same cabinets except for driver location (Conistons too). Why not put a switch on the side drivers? I guess you might want to cover them to prevent a passive radiator effect.
Old 28th October 2011, 12:50 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Has anyone tried both drivers on the front?
PeterC.
Old 28th October 2011, 02:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mill23bay View Post
Has anyone tried both drivers on the front?
PeterC.
I found I needed to taper away the highs from the side driver. They are wired in series with 68uF cap across the side driver. I think I could now locate them both on the front but wonder if that would reduce the nice spacious sound. And building the cabinets is enough of a job that it keeps me from trying it. I also use a trap inline on positive leg to attenuate the uppermost highs. Could be my tinnitus that makes me sensitive to these frequencies as I've not read about others feeling the need to do this with the EL70.

But back to the topic - Scott's cabinet designs really bring out the best from these drivers.
Old 28th October 2011, 02:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Jimbro,

Let's see if I can cut out two circular pieces and screw them on in place of the side drivers to check out the single driver performance. But my understanding is that the dual-driver config will be better:

1. Less excursion
2. Side driver acts a 0.5 driver and adds more bass vs top end - balances the CHR-70 sound
3. Wider sweet spot

But if you are looking for bass, the Lotus^2 and Coniston^2 should be right up there.

Motosapien,

Good to know that the Consiton^2s are serving you well. Sorry to hear about your tinnitus, and hope it doesn't trouble you too much.

Douglas,

Please finish the Death Star and Clairtone project first - look fwd to updates on that.

Rvsixer,

Thanks and what are you planning to make with your EL-70s?

-Zia

Hide this!Advertise here!